1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Paid Apps (outright, free version upgrades, etc.)

Last Updated:

1. DT

DT Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just to clarify, this thread is ++not++ about pilfering pay versions or bypassing the revenue model of free versions.

So I've been thinking about buying a few apps, actually upgrades/pay versions of free versions I'm currently running.

I was wondering what folks have purchased, the reasons for upgrading over the pay version (features, ad free, etc.), the price.

I'm enjoying the open source model and there are certainly plenty of great freebies, but I've been thinking about upgrading the following from free to paid:

• Twidroyd
    • Launcher Pro
    • Tapatalk
    • MixZing
    • Astro (Pro)

Advertisement
  2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

I'm inclined to move this to the Android Apps section but would love to hear your thoughts on it first.

3. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

Im curious too.

4. vapor311

vapor311 Well-Known Member

launcher pro i paid for to have the ability to customize the widget size.

5. DT

Oh yeah, I guess it's not really Captivate specific! I'm in my own little Captivate Universe :D

6. KonaZXIII

KonaZXIII Banned

Launcher Pro - Love it
    Juice Defender - Worth the price of admission

JD seems a bit wonky on the APN/Wifi controls sometimes, but otherwise seems to be doing what I want it too.

7. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

It's all good. Figured you might want some captivate users responses first. Tell you what, i leave a 1 day redirect so captivate users will see this thread for that long with the 'moved' tag.

Moved to Android Apps section:D

8. DT

Awesome! We'll probably get much more traffic in the general area. I keep forgetting there's a bunch of sections beyond the Captivate.

I've been on vacation, and also recently took a trip up to DC and I've been using the phone for music playback much more over the last week or so and I've been bouncing back and forth between different music players and MixZing seems by far the best. The UI just clicks perfect with me.

'3' is kind of interesting for the "cool factor", but kind of clunky.

The "stocker" is OK, having the controls on the lock screen is cool (but see below).

It's really clean, simple to setup playlists (I put together a quick 'workout' set), some of the tagging, art, etc., seems great.

The pay version is a touch expensive relative to most Android apps, but losing the ads and some of the slick extra features makes the $6.99 _seem_ worth it. Just having the music controls on the lock screen (like the built in app) almost justifies it.

Anybody else go pay on MixZing?

9. Weazol

Weazol Well-Known Member

there is only one reason I buy an app,

I love it and I want to support the developer.
    I could care less if there is extra features or not. If I notice I am using a free app alot I will buy it..

Apps I have bought

Alarm clock plus
    Battery Indicator Pro
    Titanium Backup
    Tasker
    psx4droid
    Root Explorer

Lately I have been trying to spend 10-15 dollars a paycheck to support the android community.

10. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I would not recommend buying MixZing just because of the data that's being collected on you.

11. zip2

zip2 Active Member

I'm not going to touch the "information collected on you" statement because I've already provided my input on a previous thread. I guess it's not a worry for me as many apps and the internet in general collect info on you...

I did buy the MixZing upgrade for 2 reasons. I wanted the permanent widget for my lockscreen and it's the ONLY player I can find with a good EQ...or an EQ at all for that matter. That is huge for me as I find the stock player atrocious sounding through my headphones. The stock player settings are either super bass or super treble or all vocals. The EQ on MixZing allows me to bring out the highs and lows just a bit which makes all the difference in the world. I leave as many bands as flat as I can without a significant battery drain. Boost just a little at 30, 60, 2K, 4K, 8K and 16K. Sounds great but I digress.

Any developer that fills a true need with an app deserves a few hard earned dollars. Just my 2 cents....

12. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

If you read my comments, my issue is that the developer won't say what information is being collected or why.

13. zip2

zip2 Active Member

I sure did read them. Maybe he was annoyed because on the download page and splash screen during install it says it's to "customize" your listening experience. Basically reco songs. Other internet music players do the same thing.

...maybe he just had a bad day when he read your email. LOL

Not trying to be argumentative with you. I understand why you are miffed.

14. DT

Bought my first app tonight. Upgraded from the free to the paid/pro version of Titanium Backup! I installed Froyo 2.2, and the restore would have required a confirmation for every one of my ~250 apps, so for the $6 I figure it supports the dev and makes a great program even better.

15. DT

Also upgraded to the paid/pro version of Launcher Pro. Worth it to support the devs, but the widget resizing and LP specific widgets - especially when skinned - are awesome.