Painful warning.. lesson learned the hard-reset way

Last Updated:

1. gingergirl

gingergirl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everybody... haven't been on for a while..missed you all.. Need to share something in hopes it might save someone of the same experience.....I was upset with someone, and impetuously deleted my entire gmail/google account thinking it wasn't such a big deal.... The google folks warned me.... You sure? "yup".... this can not be undone... "don't care" ... felt a feeling of satisfaction as I hit the final delete button... until... the next day. It was almost like...OZ behind the google green curtain... hahaha... you see what you did, missy??? you are really screwed now.

So... my gmail is gone. ... realized VERY quickly... that my SF relies on google. Okay... so I'll just create a new one. NOT so FAST, MISSY!!! huh?? yup. screwed. Apparently no way to simply change a gmail account. Have to do a hard reset. And all my paid apps? yup... here's the painful part.... associated with that first gmail account. gone... kaput...so... now I have to start over....all my three months of laborious tweaking of my phone... down the drain. I have to re-buy all my apps... reconfigure Handsent... reconfigure LauncherPro... and on and on....

so I guess what I'm trying to say is.... if you're upset with someone you communicate with on gmail... go out and have a few shots of tequila.... but DON'T delete your account.

so anyway... just wanted to share my story in order to save someone the same.... I'm starting fresh.... We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto...

Advertisement
    DonSz, MrThrax, eric12 and 2 others like this.
  2. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it, that sucks.

3. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

:( sorry to hear

4. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

Damn That sucks sorry to hear that but I'm sure there will be someone out there that will thank you for the heads up. Keep your head up and make every tomorrow better than today. ;)

5. II Kings 9:20

II Kings 9:20 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up/yep, androids must have Gmail. Too bad everything is not backed up on the SD card. Iphone backs up to itunes but if you get rid of your itunes account you're in the same boat. I think when the elusive 2.2 finally comes out, we will be able to put all apps on the SD card.

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

:(Yikes GG sorry :(

7. gingergirl

Hi everybody...Thanks sooo much for all your support!!! I was hurtin there for a while.. BIG TIME... but, as usual... things happen for a reason.. and fate kicked in.. and.. it sucked for while.. but... It's actually better now... LOL. really! sometimes starting fresh has a way of kicking our ass out of the rut... lol..

so... I was dragging my heals on the hard-reset... just couldn't seem to bite the bullet to get that "out of the box" deal again... But as fate would have it... it happened before I knew it... and BAM...I left OZ... lol. I went into Verizon on a different issue (believe it or not.. lol)... I am a very multi-faceted female.. lmao)... but to make (one of my typically L O N G stories short)... I will just say... the VZ dude (I love 'em all.. lol)... did a hard re-set.. without me really knowing... lmao... for my own good... guess he didn't want to delay my pain anymore....

so fast-forward to now.... I spent a bunch of hours re-tweaking... re-buying... but no biggie.... I LOVE my SF even more now... I still have a lot of work to do (on my phone.. lol.. and HELL... on myself too.. lol)... but... I'm moving forward.. lol... it's ALL good... love you all xxoo Thanks for being here... gingergirl... aka "gg" ((smile))

8. rehpyc

rehpyc Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, but I would have figured it'd be common knowledge that the market is tied to your gmail account and not the phone itself (for the sake of when you upgrade and purchase a new Android phone).

Btw, your way of typing things is rather peculiar.. and actually fun to read lol.

9. gingergirl

but... but.. but... "figure it'd be common knowledge"... hmmm... good thing I don't take offense easy... (where oh where is that DELETE BUTTON???.. LOL)...

if you think my way of typing is rather peculiar... you should hear the voices in my head... LMAO... sorry... couldn't resist that one... I actually took that as a pretty cool compliment.... thanks!!:)

10. nitsuj17

how has the fascinate been working out for you now? since youve started with a clean slate?

11. fegriffith

fegriffith Well-Known Member

I'm not gingergirl but did want to say that I did a hard reset because I was having very painful lag issues to the point that the phone was unusable at times. Happy to say it's now "normal" again. No force closes, no calls "stuck" where I couldn't hit the end button...no 30 second wait to actually be able to select a number and get it dialed. I'm much happier. It is a pain getting stuff set back up but it's worth it.

Now hopefully gingergirl will update us about HER situation since this IS her thread. :D

12. saps

saps Well-Known Member

when in doubt a cache clean/clear is probably going to solve most of this issues

gingergirl likes this.
  13. gingergirl

hi all... actually my "clean slate" situation is not working out well AT ALL... I actually just left a post in a troubleshooting section. If anyone has any ideas short of getting a new phone... I'm all ears! Hi Saps (((wave & happy new year!!!) ...thanks for the tip on cache clean/clear.. I will give that a try now. I know how to do it on my laptop... but not on my phone. I will try to figure it out.

14. saps

saps Well-Known Member

GG I dont think you are rooted or have clockwork installed or cache cleaning might not be possible as even the free market apps require root to use.
    Maybe its time you stepped your game up now thats its 2011. I think some of the performance issues you have would disappear if you moved up to some post-stock ROM's and kernels. I know you've been leary but my offer remains on the table to walk you thru the process. Think about it, all Id ask for are some RedSox tickets in return :p JK.
    Seriously, there is a tangible difference between the stock SF and one with a clean ROM, running voodoo, overclocked and undervolted. Its not night and day but its noticeable for sure.
    Think it over GG :)

gingergirl likes this.
  15. Kalnel

Kalnel Member

I won't let *anyone* touch my phone anymore.

When I went to buy my SF, the Verizon guy asked for my Touch Pro and started to do something. I asked him what -- he didn't want to say -- and then said, "I'm backing up your contacts." I told him to stop immediately -- I have MS Exchange --but he ignored me. I whipped that phone out of his hand and demanded to see the manager. The nerve...

Similar thing last month in Radio Shack. I went in to get charger, and the nerd behind the desk said he had a SF and offered to help me speed it up. I told him I was satisfied with it, but I let him LOOK at it. Next thing I knew, he wouldn't tell me what he was doing, and he was trying to load Advanced Task Killer on it.

Again, I demanded to see the manager. What's with these dudes?

16. AlissaLL3

AlissaLL3 Well-Known Member

Wows OK wait a sec. So if for some reason you lose your GMail or want to change your Email address (us girls have security issues sometimes) you have to start over fully!!!?????????

There is no "hey update my account to this email now" or is there one and only one per device and since you deleted yours that was the painful part?

17. nitsuj17

unfortunately all of your google apps are locked to your account :eek:

there are ways around this....but....it requires root access and adb/root explorer

AlissaLL3 likes this.
  18. laurentypo

laurentypo Well-Known Member

You know...you can email Google on their Help Forum and ask them to restore your account...

I deleted my blog once by accident, and they fixed it for me.

19. gingergirl

Update to my saga...

I can't really believe I'm telling all of you this.. but..a couple of weeks ago...I DELETED my second gmail ACCOUNT!!! :eek: no joke. Too sheepish to share the gory details..lol.., but I have, sigh, a brand spankin new account.. ((again)).. the gmail folks no doubt think I'm a loon (some of you girls out there might be able to relate, however)...... Rest assured, this one will be the dedicated, sole email for my SF... lol... not taking any more chances.

oh, and ps.... I had to get another new SF... due to pitiful performance... lots of issues... so... we'll see how this next round goes. I told the VZ dudes to put a notation in my "bulging file" that if this new phone didn't perform basic functions properly... I was "going phone shopping".. and they were footing the bill...:D

20. saps

saps Well-Known Member

I think you just have too many keyboards installed. Also once we get you dialed in right with root and cwm then voodoo we'll get you on 2.2 which should be ready for you by the time you get around to it :p

21. gingergirl

Hi SAPS...

Actually since doing a few hard resets, and then having to ultimately get a new device, I only have one keyboard installed... Smart Keyboard Pro. If you think by rooting or adding any of the other stuff would make the "soft keys" at the bottom cease their endless, glaring glow... I would absolutely give it a whirl.

22. saps

saps Well-Known Member

When you say endless glow do you mean they never turn off? Because they now are supposed to be on the same as your screentimeout