• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Palm better than Droid? HAH!

Did you guys see that "March Madness" for smartphones on laptop magazine(which is a joke of a site, by the way). They have the palm pre beating out the Nexus One in the first round and then in the third round it takes out the HD2, and this is user voted!?!?? Just goes to show you how stupid the general public is, I personally couldn't believe it when I saw it. What do you guys think of this?

March Smart Phone Madness Game 14: BlackBerry Tour vs. Motorola Droid

Upvote 0
Did you guys see that "March Madness" for smartphones on laptop magazine(which is a joke of a site, by the way). They have the palm pre beating out the Nexus One in the first round and then in the third round it takes out the HD2, and this is user voted!?!?? Just goes to show you how stupid the general public is, I personally couldn't believe it when I saw it. What do you guys think of this?

If you read Rubenstien's quote, he says he "thinks" the Pre is better than the Droid. "Thinks" doesn't sound very confident to me coming from a CEO. Oh well.

If anything, Palm has a very loyal and strong community. When you read their community forums (precentral) you'll see all kinds of threads with talk about viral marketing and homemade commercials. Diehards, indeed. Unfortunately, that doesn't really change the fact that their phone isn't selling very well.

Personally I owned a Pre Plus for 2 days before I was sprinting back to my Droid. Nice software I guess. Hardware? Ehh... not so much.

Upvote 0
The Palm Pre Plus isn't a bad device at all. The webOS is a wonderful and simplistic OS that is on a good phone (although the physical keyboard could be better... then again, the Droid's keyboard is nothing to be proud of). I REALLY wish that the card multitasking system (I don't know the technical term, heh) was on Android devices, instead of having to use a task manager. It is extremely easy to use and again, extremely easy to manage tasks with a flick on the Pre Plus' gesture area (replaced original Pre's button). Palm can easily produce a really formidable device if they do some changes such as...

- 3.7" screen
- onscreen keyboard (w/ Swype would be wonderful)
- faster hardware
- more apps for the Palm marketplace

The actual design of the Palm Pre Plus is better than the Droid's, in my opinion. It is modern, minimalist, and sexier with its curves. I feel like it's like looking at a phone with just a screen and volume control buttons.

Upvote 0

The March Madness thing is more about "Which phone do you like more?" than it is "Which is the technically superior device?" It's not because the general public is very stupid; it's because they'll choose one that they personally like more. I would choose iPhone 3GS vs. HTC HD2 for the final round if I were able to control the popularity tournament. I'm pretty sure the iPhone 3GS lost because Apple is the kind of company that is polarizing, so it was basically iPhone 3GS users vs. everyone else.

Upvote 0
Palm's Jon Rubinstein: 'I think we have a better product than Droid' -- Engadget

If I were the CEO at Palm, I would say the same thing! But is it the truth? Feel free to comment below.

I take it lots of people here have never had a pre plus. I have, and let me tell you it is every bit as good as the Droid. In every way. And if it had the apps, I would go back to it.

The only reason I went back to Droid was because of the app selection. MLB At Bat was the deal breaker for me.

But is excellent at email, messaging, multi tasking. The two OS are very similar actually. Both have built in gtalk, et... Their facebook ap is way better than Android, not even close.

They also integrate AIM.

I don't know... it's a solid device if you don't need all the mainstream applications.

Upvote 0
Being a previous Pre owner I think the webOS is pretty formidable but unfortunately doesn't enjoy the support that Android has amongst the developers etc.

Speaking to the phone itself, I'd say the Droid wins hands down. The Pre was sorta shoddy and felt like a cheap plastic toy. It was just too small and the slide out keyboard was a pain, to constantly open/close.

My 2 cents....

Upvote 0
I sense some deeply rooted hatred towards Palm from you my friend. You must learn to live in peace.

No, I just hate when companies produce crap (ever try to make a phone call on a Treo?), and then tell everyone their crap is better than everything else out. If only the release dates were switched? Doesn't change the fact the droid is made by a phone company, and the Pre is made by a PDA company.

The actual design of the Palm Pre Plus is better than the Droid's, in my opinion. It is modern, minimalist, and sexier with its curves. I feel like it's like looking at a phone with just a screen and volume control buttons.

Let's not forget that it would kick the droids ass when it comes to number of skips across a lake! :D Looks like the the moto pebl was kidnapped by palm and is now all grown up! LOL

Reactions: irishpride
Upvote 0
I used WebOS for several months and I think it's being hyped way too much because of the card view. Yeah it was nice but it was not without issues. Flicking the cards away didn't necessarily mean all the memory was freed up. Memory leaks were still evident as by the end of the day, the phone would lag a lot. This is something I just don't experience with Android. My Droid could be on for weeks at a time running just as fast as when I first turned it on.

Another thing was the app startup and boot up times on webOS. My Pre literally took over 2 minutes to boot. Doesn't sound like much but it was an eternity especially if I ran into the 'too many cards open' or GPS not functioning issues and had to reboot. Apps took 2-3 seconds to open and were overall laggier than anything I've experienced on Android.

Hardware wise the Pre also left much to be desired. Not only was the GPS unreliable, but the keyboard was cramped when using both thumbs to type. Sorry but I'm much quicker on the Droid's 'crappy' keyboard than the Pre's. Also the plastic covering was very easy to scratch and felt pretty flimsy. Lots of people developed cracks at the USB port area and the screens were known to get a spider cracks emanating from the home button area on some phones. However, I never got cracks and my phone was in pretty good condition when I sold it. I wanted to like and defended it a lot but compared to the Droid, it really did feel like a cheap toy.

Upvote 0
i gotta say i see where rubenstein is coming from. i was about to switch to Sprint to get the Pre because Verizon had no interesting smartphones and Sprint's plans are way cheaper with comparable coverage. then the Droid came out and i got it and stuck with Verizon. if the Pre had come out on Verizon before the Droid, i wouldn't be at all surprised if i would have ended up with that.

the way it turned out...i'm glad i ended up with the Droid :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones