PalmOS handwriting recognition

Last Updated:

1. DAE51D

DAE51D Well-Known Member

OT: hold on. I have had a Treo 650 for a couple years, and now just traded up for a Centro. These don't have Graffiti do they?? I used to have the old PalmPilot (3Com!) PDA and LOVED graffiti. I love my PalmOS, but there are times I'd much rather be writing than typing on those little buttons. I will $hit my pants if you tell me graffiti has been on my phone(s) this entire time and I don't know how to enable it. :confused:

2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I don't know how to tell you this ... you might want to "sit down". :eek:
    Sure, the Treos don't have a graffiti area, but with a bit of software they do graffiti just fine. This must be the 50th post where I admit to being a die-hard TealScript addict, making my own set of strokes and whatnot. I've had that on a whole range of Palms, from a 3Com to a PalmV to a couple of T3's to a Treo. Full-screen handwriting recognition on an old Palm beats any virtual keyboard on any Android/iPhone any day. :( I wish I'd kept my T3's (and that they hadn't killed the OS).
  3. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

I guess I have news for everyone.

First, download MobileWrite. It's "Graffiti" for Android. It even lets you choose among Graffiti1, Graffiti2, and plain handwriting. I have it on my Moto Droid and loved it. Until I discovered Swype. I haven't used it -- or the physical keyboard -- since. No exaggeration.

Second, you can download Graffiti to put on your Centro, although I'm not certain from where. I know, because my Treo 680 came without it and I was able to download and install it on the 680 and it worked just as well as it did on my Palm m130. It's a free program.

Try googling for it -- as best I recall, it's on a website somewhere.
  4. statikjack

statikjack Member

5. KlaymenDK

Yeah, well, I've tried MobileWrite, and found it horrible (the Market comments are true, and there is literally no way to enter certain international chars). :( Or are you saying that Swype is better? :confused:
    Android's habit of wiping your UI so you can write is just an abomination. :mad: My next device is definitely going to have a physical keyboard.
  6. KlaymenDK

PalmOS Graffiti > anything else. :D Am I right?

This thread will be a landing zone for moved posts, if and when I spot any threads going off-topic about handwriting recognition. Consider it a service. :p
  7. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I have a 5 year old Palm 600 and I've had 'Graffiti Anywhere' for as long as I can remember. When my less than 2 year old Motorola RIZR Z3 started falling apart, surprise surprise! My 5 year old Palm 600 took it's place and left retirement for active duty again... lol

Anyways, I use the Graffiti Anywhere to impress people with my 5 year old phone, but when I'm using it for calendar, text msgs, emails etc. I use the keyboard simply because for me, it's faster, especially with a lot of punctuations like colons, commas which I'm having a bit of difficulty doing in a fast way with Graffiti Anywhere.