1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

PalmOS-Like Contacts and Calendar Application(s)?

Last Updated:

1. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

can anyone recommend a PalmOS-Like (Original Treo/Centro/Garnet) Contacts and Calendar Application(s)?

i'm looking for simplicity and ease of use.

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

Do a search in these forums and you'll find dozens of former Palm owners (me being one) looking for exactly the same thing.

What you land on depends on how you used your Palm.

3. Gekko

your app favorites?

4. MinConst

MinConst Well-Known Member

You can use palm software if you like it. Companion Sync will sync to it.
    I use Outlook even when I had a Centro.

5. jev

jev Well-Known Member

Calendar: Calendar Pad. Looks like an old PalmOS app with week-view. Contact information just is not as good as Palm's, unfortunately google's contact app is rather restricted in what it can do. Maybe one day they will improve on this, but don't hold your breath.

I'm coming from a Palm III, Handspring Visor Edge and finally a T|X. In most respects, Android is far ahead of what Palm offered, in other areas it's still trying to catch up (you just named the two biggest issues for many Palm users ;)). You can try to fight it and search a lifetime to get all the same features PalmOS offered or you can simply adjust and accept Android is just not the same. Personally, I'm quite happy with my Android phone.

6. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

If you liked Notepad and Memopad, I suggest Note Everything. It lets you create "drawings" using your finger and save them, or text messages that you can file inside of folders under headings. It also lets you record and file voicememos. One of my all-time favorite Android apps.

Swype is also another favorite. I dislike the keyboard on my Moto Droid and wasn't very fond of the on-screen keyboard method of entering info. It's in a limited-acceptance beta right now, so you can't find it just yet. But there are several other apps that I'm told are similar. Search for Swype. I'd really be struggling to like my Droid without it.

7. Gekko

thanks for the replies. i'm only interested in Contacts and Calendar. I thinned out my Palm Memos to just my critical ones and then converted them all to MS Word Docs accessed via Docs To Go.I love the ease of use of ENTERING/CHANGING/ACCESSING of a Contact or an Event in PalmOS. that's what I'm looking for.

8. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention, dang it: you can import all your old Palm memos into Note Everything.

9. Zodicatt

Zodicatt New Member

I have been a Palm OS user for years and had trouble finding a calendar and to do list app on Android that were comparable to Palm's amazing organizing software. I paid for several productivity apps, none of which were quite enough for me. Luckily, I found these free apps that have worked for me.

Astrid (with it's newest updates) is the closest app to Palm's Task List. It has repeating tasks, categories/tags, specific filters, and a few other features former palm users may be used to using. The sorting and filtering functions aren't quite as easy to read as palm and don't work with the widget but the developer replied to my email that they are working to beef this up. I also opened a free rememberthemilk.com account and linked Astrid to it. Rememberthemilk.com is more functional (to me) than the other accounts you can link to Astrid. Did I mention it's free?

I prefer to have shortcuts on my phone desktop instead of the widget. I have a shortcut for sorting by date, and a couple for my frequently used categories/tags. In the main screen that lists all of your sorting and tags lists, simply long press whatever you want to create a shortcut to the desktop.

As for a good calendar app, I would go with Jorte. With it's recent updates, it allows you to have more customized events, like repeating events (which is surprisingly hard to find). You cannot color code events like you could with Palm. However, the many different widget options allow you to pick a widget that will show the event name so you can still do a quick glance at your calendar to know what's coming up without having to click on each day (like you would have to do in the native calendar apps). It can also sync with Google calendar.

As an OCD organizer, I instantly fell in love with Palm's productivity apps. They are easy to use and easy to tailor to your specific needs. While Astrid and Jorte aren't quite as great as Palm, they are the best substitutes out there on Android. Plus, they are free and the developers are quick to respond to questions and suggestions.