• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help pandigital novel 'tablet'

Howdy all!
I just picked up a pandigital novel eReader, and of course, the first thing I did was install the Android open platform kit. Of course, that wiped all of the proprietary B&N software, but I couldn't care less. I am new to androids, but I know my way around Linux systems. So, I am slowly but surely figuring out this device, it's filesystem, capabilities, etc. Is there a good guide for android newbies out there? I've found the ES File explorer, and while it seems to do the job, to tell you the truth, I'm more used to a simple Bourne shell. I found /system/bin/sh , but for some reason, it refuses to load. Also, after 'upgrading' to the open platform kit, I am no longer able to connect to my Mac via USB (which I was able to do with the B&N software). I've got a couple dozen more questions, but these will do for now.

to WanderingOak or anyone else who knows how...I have a black PDN and I have not been able to get the android kit to istall.i wrote pandigital to ask but have not heard back. Can someone please tell me how this is done. I tried doing it the same way as the update firmware but all it does is open a window and ask what program I want to use to open files. I am completely lost and at the mercy of you who are so skilled at computers and devices.please?

Upvote 0
CAN U PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR HOURS. vincentbradberry@gmail.com if you have a paypal account etc, i will happily send you a few bucks for helping me out . Thanks VB

Howdy all!
I just picked up a pandigital novel eReader, and of course, the first thing I did was install the Android open platform kit. Of course, that wiped all of the proprietary B&N software, but I couldn't care less. I am new to androids, but I know my way around Linux systems. So, I am slowly but surely figuring out this device, it's filesystem, capabilities, etc. Is there a good guide for android newbies out there? I've found the ES File explorer, and while it seems to do the job, to tell you the truth, I'm more used to a simple Bourne shell. I found /system/bin/sh , but for some reason, it refuses to load. Also, after 'upgrading' to the open platform kit, I am no longer able to connect to my Mac via USB (which I was able to do with the B&N software). I've got a couple dozen more questions, but these will do for now.

Upvote 0
BPDN user here. Just download the Open Platform file from the Pandigital site.

- Copy the file onto the root directory of an SD card.
- Power your Novel off, but plug in the AC adapter so you know you have full power.
- Put the SD Card into the SD card slot.
- Hold down the volume + button.
- While still holding the volume + button, push and hold the power button.
- After about 10 seconds, you will see the some text with a progress bar at the bottom - release both buttons.
- When everything is done, it will reboot.

Remember to also download the latest Pandigital firmware from their site so you can back out the upgrade if it doesn't work. You may actually want to start with the upgrade first to make sure everything works as planned before doing the OP upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I just wish I could get the darn thing to open any web page........ Shows I'm WiFi connected, with EXCELLENT connectivity.......but it keeps saying it's unable to connect to the server. I've been playing with it for 10 hours. I have the black 4G unit I got from QVC. None of the web apps open........B&N, Email, Weather, Stocks......... nothing.
I've hardbooted it, manually installed my WiFi stats....... everything says I'm connected, but it still wont work. My Kindle and laptop connects just fine, so I know it's not a WiFi issue. Do I have a defective unit???

Upvote 0
Hi lhrocker. I have d/l the open platform to the sd card and have tried the steps you have listed below with no luck...so I am going to ask a silly question...am I suppose to create a "root" folder on the sd card and put the .dat file in it? :thinking::thinking:

Thanks
Cali

BPDN user here. Just download the Open Platform file from the Pandigital site.

- Copy the file onto the root directory of an SD card.
- Power your Novel off, but plug in the AC adapter so you know you have full power.
- Put the SD Card into the SD card slot.
- Hold down the volume + button.
- While still holding the volume + button, push and hold the power button.
- After about 10 seconds, you will see the some text with a progress bar at the bottom - release both buttons.
- When everything is done, it will reboot.

Remember to also download the latest Pandigital firmware from their site so you can back out the upgrade if it doesn't work. You may actually want to start with the upgrade first to make sure everything works as planned before doing the OP upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
THIS IS TO ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE A PANDIGITAL - BLACK I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE MY AN ADROID ... IT TOOK LESS THEN 10 MIN. AND I AM NOT A COMPUTER WIZ.

**I HAVE NOT DONE ANY UPDATES OR CHANGES THE MY EREADER BEFORE THIS - YOU MAY WANT TO "RESET FACTORY SETTINGS" BEFORE BEGINING THIS. **

STEP 1 - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN SD CARD FOR YOUR EREADER
STEP 2 - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COMUTER
STEP 3 - tURN OFF YOUR EREADR. TAKE THE SD CARD FROM YOUR IT, AND PUT INTO YOUR COMPUTER
STEP 4 - GO TO THE PANDIGITAL WEBSITE
STEP 5 - CLICK ON THE PICTURE THAT SAYS "FIRMWARE UPDATES CLICK HERE"
STEP 6 - USE THE "WHITE" INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING THE UPDATES ON AN SD CARD
STEP 7 - GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THAT PAGE AND CLICK "Pandigital Novel Android Open Platform Kits are available HERE"
STEP 8 - CLICK ON THE "DOWNLOAD" FOR THE BLACK PANDIGITAL
STEP 9 - SAVE IT TO THE SD CARD
STEP 10 - ONCE BOTH DOWNLOADS ARE COMPLETE FROM YOUR COMPUTER SELECT THE SD CARD AND "UNZIP" THE "FIRMWARE" UPDATES
STEP 11 - SAFELY REMOVE THE SD CARD FROM YOUR COMPUTER AND PLACE IT IN YOUR PANDIGITAL EREADER
**MAKE SURE YOU EREADER IS OFF**
STEP 12 - GO BACK TO THE PANDIGITAL WEBSITE AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE "FIRMWARE UPDATES" UPLOAD FROM AN SD CARD FOR THE WHITE PANDIGITAL.
**THIS STEP TAKES THE LONGEST** (a couple of times i thought i was screwing it up and i had hold the "+" and "power" buttons more than once, but once the update started I knew it)
** YOU CANT MISS THE UPDATE BUT ONCE IT STARTS LEAVE THE EREADER ALONE UNTIL IT BLEEPS AT YOU AND ....**

YOU WILL SEE THE ANDROID SCREEN!!!! AND IT WORKS GREAT! I HAVE YET TO EXPLORE MUCH ... BUT I DID THIS ABOUT 2 MINS BEFORE THIS POST SO I WILL UPDATE YOU SOON ON MY PROGRESS!!!

HAPPY SURFING MAC!

Reactions: mongoose313
Upvote 0
I've downloaded the Android platform kit onto my Black 7" Pandigital Novel and it downloaded successfully. However, I cannot download any apps from any Android site. Each time I try to download an app, I am sent to a page that says that I do not have permission to do this. What can I do to correct this? I really enjoyed having the eReader capabilities and I would like to have it again. Please, help.

Upvote 0
Same here. Kit installed fine. But no access to marketplace and any direct links to apps tell me I have no permission...?

I figured I would lose reader capability temp. But now it seems I am left with nothing more than a flashless web browser. Which isn't much of a web browser at all. Suppose ill reinstall the old platform and at least have my books AND a crappy web browser.

Upvote 0
Ok guys, since I joined this forum I will pitch in here for anyone still toying with this. I have both a black and a white PDN, both with Android and marketplace working etc... You will find most of the info you need here Pandigital Novel Android Tablet Discussion I got market working on the black PDN following the instruction here: Alternate hacked firmware for Black PDN attempt - Alpha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ7KhyyR9v4 I used the cruz firmware on the white. Alternate WPDN firmware: Cruz Reader UI mod (latest update is 2.2.0, 01/11/11) There are newer firmwares out there this is just the ones I ended up using which were the latest when i did it...

Upvote 0
ATTENTION PDN USERS!!!

I think I just earned my “Haxer Badge of Brilliance” after haxer'ing the hell out of several systems resulting in me making the internet, Android OS, android market, and PDN my bitch...

Ok.., ok... but really people after 8 hours of beating my head against a wall, many failures, and a two day break to realize my failures had set me up for a huge bit of win, I found a work-around for the PND to get any and all apps from the android market... even if your PDN doesn't have a sd-card or access to the internet and all without touching your PDN from factory standard.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-android-market-apps-pdn-without-hacking.html

Upvote 0
What in the difference between the white and black other than the housing color.
The black PDN is using an older version of Android. I'm seeing either 1.5 or 1.6 depending on who you ask. The white PDN I have is 2.0.

Correction: There are now two versions of the black PDN. They've now come out with the PDN Planet which is running Android 2.2, they've added a camera and some other little goodies.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones