pandora at work all day - is it bad for the device?General

Last Updated:

1. lady3jane

lady3jane Active Member This Topic's Starter

hi all -
    at work i can't stream music, so i've been listening to pandora on my eris all day long (plugged into speakers and charging cable also).

is it bad for the device in any way?

i used to stream via my iPod touch and the verizon mifi, but that has a 5GB limit which streaming eats up pretty quickly.

i figure there's probably not an issue, but just wanted to check.

i am running 2.1 right now, if that makes any difference.

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I heard that after a certain amount of usage they throw in an ad or two. I think you can upgrade and pay a small fee but I'm not sure. As for the phone, give it work to do and a power source and you will make it one happy Eris. (Oh yeah, reboot once in a while. Never hurts)

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I run Pandora all day at work too. I have not had any issues with it. I don't leave mine connected to the charger constantly though.

4. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

They also have like a 40 hour limit per month on free listening. Pandora FAQ

As far as the phone if its getting really hot you might want to let it cool down once in awhile. Excessive heat can reduce the lifespan of all electronics.

5. lady3jane

ok. i definitely leave it unplugged sometimes.

i don't get ads on the eris, only on the ipod. but i'm going to pony up for the subscription because that seems like the right thing to do.

thanks guys!

6. Droidcula

Droidcula Well-Known Member

How much bandwith do you use doing that? Or do you use wifi when running pandora at work?

7. OfTheDamned

I use regular data. The wifi at my office does not play well with Pandora or Slacker. I've never really checked to see how much bandwith I am using though.

8. lady3jane

when i stream pandora thru the verizon mifi hotspot, i used like 5GB per day.
    i was able to talk verizon into giving me a credit because "i didn't know".

but honestly, i really didn't think it would be that much. i should have known better.

9. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

I like using tunewiki because it automatically updates my last.fm profile with the songs I listen to through it. I also have last.fm on my xbox360 so thats why I use it instead of pandora.

10. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

I stream Pandora while I'm driving at work, I probably don't use it as much as you, but the Eris does really like it.

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that VZW is looking into getting rid of the "unlimited" data plan and offer usage limits like a 5GB plan and a 1GB plan and so on. It's not official yet but the talk is out there.

11. OfTheDamned

I am hoping that most of can be grandfathered in with the unlimited data. I know 2 people that were grandfathered in and don't have the 5G cap on their cards or myfi. They just have to buy the devices outright with no contract renewal.

12. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

Verizon CTO Anthony Melone expressed a similar sentiment to the Wall Street Journal, saying that “as much data as you can consume is the big issue that has to change.” Melone suggested that when Verizon begins offering 4G in mid-2011, unlimited data plans is something that the company may revisit and change.

LA Times Blog

Verizon is aiming for the top 30 markets for LTE in 2011. I would assume that once that is offered you would have to get a new phone and a new plan without unlimited data being offered on the new LTE network but would still be available on the 3G network.

13. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

True,

What I read was that once 4G is launched and they are on the capped plans, all plans will eventually go to that, sorry Ofthedamned no grandfathering.

I could be wrong, it has happened before.

14. brock350

brock350 Member

I do believe you should be grandfathered in....I have an alltel wireless card that the contract has expired 6 months ago but paying month to month and the reason for that is because its an unlimited plan and verizon doesnt offer it.

15. estCoast

estCoast Active Member

I'm fairly certain they can't force you to change. Although once you change your contract, there's not going back.

16. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I use my eris runnign Slacker or Pandora, running Google Nav and still get the ocassional phone call or text . While it's running thru my car stero for 4-6 hrs at a time and the phone has no trouble and really handles it very well. Sometimes my texts will lag and sometimes the phones ringer will delay but that is to be expected running two of the biggest resource/battery hogs simultaniously

17. odaxium

odaxium Well-Known Member

The contracts you have now will remain until you get a new contract

18. colornshape

colornshape Well-Known Member

Here's a Pandora trick, in case anyone doesn't know: once you run out of skips, exiting and restarting resets the counter. At least it does on my phone.

Matt