Pandora Quitting after 30 minutes?

Last Updated:

1. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My brother in law turned me on to Pandora this past weekend. I knew about it and even poked around with it a few years ago, but never "got into" it. Having bailed on renewing my satellite radio subscription recently, I thought it time to check out Pandora.

He taught me the ropes and we set up 2 channels to drive home with.

Fire it up, worked fine. Turned on the Satellite Layer in maps to show him his neighborhood in a live GPS route - almost immediately Pandora crapped out on us. I presumed it was a bandwidth issue with loading satellite imagery as well as streaming audio. Had to kill the app and restart.

On our way back home however, it died again - working fine, fired up another app - one that saves my track logs to a file for later examination. As soon as this app started, Pandora stopped. OK, Pandora needs a clear pallate, whatever, for now, we'll give it to her.

Fired it up now a 3rd time - it ran like a champ - playing a new mix much better than what we used to get on XM Radio. Love it, wish I used it earlier. However, it stopped dead in its tracks right about 30 minutes after we started it. Had to go into App Manager and "kill" the Pandora app, then re-start it manually.

It ran this 4th time for again, right about 30 minutes. Fired up again and thankfull we were only 20 mins from home, were able to listen to it into the garage.

So, I love Pandora - it's absolutely awesome! Love how the Nav system integrates with it such that you hear directions, then music comes right back on. Love how I can buy a track that's playing.

But - hate that it won't allow me to do much else at the same time, but moreso, how it apparantly craps out at the 30 minute mark.

Am I doing something wrong or is there some configuration that can be done to keep it working past 30 minutes? Is this me or is this a larger known issue?

Any help greatly appreciated.

PittCaleb

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

This is NOT my experience at all. I have ZERO issues with Pandora, and I run it every day without fail. I also navigate with my DROID while using Pandora ... again, no issues.

What version of Pandora are you using?

3. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It should have been the most recent as of the weekend, although I noted that a new one came in the pipe this morning while checking my notifications. Downloaded & Installed it, but yet to use it.

Glad its working for you - we'll see if further playing around with it helps.

PittCaleb

4. square

square Well-Known Member

same issue. 2 hour drive last week with nav and pandora running. pandora crapped out after about 45 min to an hour the first time and then again within 45 min.

there was an update released today, but i don't know what the changes are.

5. messenger13

Oh, that's right!!! There was an update a few weeks back, but I decided NOT to install it because I read that a few people experienced issues with the update. Perhaps this new update will fix that last one. If not, I don't think it would be an issue with me posting the version I'm using, since it's a free app.

I'm using version 1.1.2.

UPDATE: I just installed the new version from the Market (ver 1.2.1). I'll test it and see if I have any issues with that version.

6. BigSteve321

BigSteve321 New Member

I just downloaded 1.2.1 after experiencing a number of problems with 1.2

7. aclos3

aclos3 Active Member

I have many issues with Pandora! If I pause a song, leave the app, come back 30+ minutes later, the song will usually not resume and the album art has typically disappeared. Furthermore, I can't load my station list and hitting the info button usually causes a force close. I must press menu and attempt to exit SEVERAL times before the app actually closes. Only then can I finally go reopen Pandora and have it start fresh. It has done this for quite some time, maybe back to 2.0, smoked glass 5.0.1. I just went back to bone stock 2.0.1 after a complete wipe. We'll see if I have the problems today.

I use Pandora 8+ hours per day and have Pandora One. My problems persist on both normal and high bit rate.

8. messenger13

I've had Pandora playing for roughly 3.5 hours now without interruption ... including a trip to the doctor where I navigated each way. Not an issue yet.

9. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

I have no issues with Pandora on 3G. I can stream it all day and it :might: crap out once where the music stops, the play button is showing, and I have to quit through the menu and restart. I have no problem doing other things with Pandora running in the background, including navigation, either.

However, on my wifi network at home, I'm lucky if it makes it through one song cleanly. It usually will stop in the middle of a song and resume a few seconds later or completely skip to the next song.

To the person complaining about it crapping out after pausing for extended period of time, have you set the time out in the menu settings to longer? The app will shut itself down in a low memory situation after the timeout specified in that setting. When I changed this setting I stopped having the problem. I can pause it leaving the gym and resume it 2 or 3 hours later with mostly no issues.

10. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

Some days Pandora seems happy, other days not so much. I've had it lock up on 3G, more often on WiFi - hit QUIT on the Pandora menu and then reload. I've had it run for hours in the car WITH Maps and GPS with no problem, other times it dies just walking down the street. I just updated to the new version, and we'll see how that goes. My theory is that there is something with its buffering technique, or in its periodic "pause due to inactivity" that I see when running it on my computer, that is sometimes distasteful to the Droid. :confused:

11. aclos3

aclos3 Active Member

Thank you for the advice and the similar stories. I too believe it has something to do with buffering. I should add that since my fresh wipe last night, I have not had a glitch and just did about 35 minutes of driving with maps up, in and out of media/car docks, many pauses and restarts.

12. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

I have this same issue from time to time.

13. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

I have had the same exact prob as the OP and aclos3 since I've had my Droid back in December across stock, BB and NexBeast ROMs (running NB 1.0.1 right now with Chevys 1.1 GHz OC kernel). If you all figured out a solution, I would be extremely grateful to hear it.

Also, if you've always been able to use Pandora and navigation without an issue (Messenger13 ;)), please list what ROM you're using (or if stock), if you're using any sort of task killer and if possible, what version Pandora and/or navigation version and any other info you think might be useful.

I'm getting ready for a 13 hour trip in the next couple weeks, so I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can help me fix this!

Thanks in advance!

14. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI Well-Known Member

LOL, I was streaming Pandora in High Quality...... Using Google maps, Surfing the web.... (this site) and Texting at the same time......

I love the Droid!!

That setting might do the trick with setting the time out option to never.

Edit: Using 3g network, lol... not Wifi