Pandora scares me....General

Last Updated:

1. Wraithbane

Wraithbane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so I get the Droid Eris, all my geeky friends tell me "Man, you gotta get Pandora, it rocks!" So one of the first apps I put on is Pandora, it asks me what I like, I feed it some off the wall names; Planet P, Whitesnake, Shakespear's Sister, The Nails (No, not the 9 Inch Nails, the Nails who did '88 Lines about 44 Women', if you don't know the song, youtube it). So today I'm finally working a job where I'm going to have several hours to listen to it, so I fire it up for the first real long-term trial.

The thing didn't play one song I didn't like....

Not one song....

My wife of 12 years couldn't pick 6 songs in a row that I liked to save her life.

Not a single song I didn't like.....

That's just scary to me.

lol, amazed gratz to the code monkeys who dreamed up that one and figured out the algorithms, (and it was really hard not to type that "Al-Gore-Rythyms" but he's a white guy, and we don't have rythym, well, except for John Travolta and Christopher Walken) you do unbelievable work.

(I blame any and all spelling errors on doing this in IE instead of Firefox and not having my spell check available.)

Advertisement
  2. smacky

smacky Banned

It seems like I'm the only person on here that doesn't like sites like that. I prefer finding music on my own, like stumbling upon it accidentally when a song is played in a show or movie.

But glad you liked it. Try Last.fm as well. Similar, but they track songs you listen to, how many times, etc. That's if you have your own collection on your computer, though.

3. Wraithbane

My reflex is to agree with you, but Pandora turned me on to a group called Zero 7, something about a line, waiting/standing, something, anyway, I doubt I'd ever hear of this group otherwise and I really liked that song, so a new group to be a fan of.

Kinda like Planet P, if it weren't for someone else that were a fan, I'd never have heard of it, and I love the Pink World album, better than The Wall as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, for those that didn't get my sense of humor, I hoped that some of you would find the thread amusing, if you've stumbled upon previously unheard of music on Pandora that you really like, feel free to share the names with the rest of us, help support that group by spreading the word.

4. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

If you liked Pandora then you'll really like Slacker. It has a much bigger music pool.

5. Wraithbane

I'll check it out, thanks for the tip, and to the prior poster for the tip about Last.FM as well.

6. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

My niece and I decided a few days ago that Pandora has mind reading capabilities, or it's at least listening to you through the phones mic.

Ok so I was taking her somewhere in my car and I was showing off the Hero a bit. I turned on Pandora and told her what it does. I then put it on the channel I usually listen to. Insane Clown Posse channel is all I ever typed in for it. It plays ICP, Twiztid, KMK, Tech Nine and a few other related artists. As the first song was playing I told her I have an Eminem channel but I havn't really listened to it much because I'm hearing all these great tunes from the ICP channel that I've never heard before. She told me how much she loves Eminem and her favorite song is When I'm Gone, just then the ICP song ended and the exact song she said, started up. I've listened to well over a hundred hours of Pandora on my phone and it's never played Eminem on the ICP channel, I haven't even played Eminem on my Hero other than when I put it on as a channel 2 months ago. Needless to say we both a bit freaked out. After we calmed down I showed her I could download the video from YouTube for her too, which she thought was awesome.

7. jwmacdon1231

That's kind of creepy. LOL.

8. Wraithbane

9. jwmacdon1231

10. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

And if you listen to Pandora too much, it plays the exact same songs in the exact same sequence. I use iheartradio when it works. When I hear a new song on my local FM station using iheartradio, I create a new station in Pandora. I've heard about Slacker radio and Last.fm, are these any better than Pandora?

11. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

Pandora can be eerie that way... I really only use it on my Roku box, though the one channel I have setup on the account my phone uses always performs as eerily well. It's uncanny, whatever magic they have on the backend there.

12. jwmacdon1231

I love Slacker. IMO it is way better just because of the fact that it has a much bigger selection of music. Which, if you think about it, makes it more difficult to read your mind or listen to what you're talking about.

13. mwb823

mwb823 Member

i like my last.fm. maybe because ive been using it since 05 and have listened to 100k songs to build it up.

14. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

Damn, now I'll want Slacker Radio on my Roku box. Nice thus far, with a first impression.

15. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Yeah pandora is ok for the first week or so...then it starts to get repetitive. thats why I went with grooveshark you pay 30 a year But in my opinion its worth it, you get to play any song you want anytime you want.

16. Boulder257

Boulder257 Well-Known Member

Personally, I found it to be one of the greatest apps I have EVER downloaded. I get sick of flipping through radio stations searching for a song I like only to catch one in the middle. Then, change the channel again to catch another song right in the middle, if I can even find one. Pandora was incredible, and, depending on the mood, I can leave it go and it plays song after song that I enjoy. Even my wife, who can't stand all the app choices, loves and uses Pandora exclusively.

Great app and well worth it.

17. AudiDan

AudiDan Well-Known Member

Agree! Love Pandora. Had Slacker first then tried Pandora and never looked back, uninstalled Slacker. I even hook it up to my home theater system, especially since direct tv switched from Sirrus/xm to something called Sonic tap.

18. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Pandora is good but it does get very repeative if you listen to it a lot which I do. I use slacker much more.

I really want .977 to come to Android , a couple of my friends have it on there Iphones and it's great on weekend nights

19. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I use Slacker more because I was given a Slacker player and set up my play list a long time ago. Pandora is also great though because it really is specific when you type in your song type. I'm not like some of you guys above who are way out their with their music. I'm pretty much mainstream and that means I'm easy to please.

20. R1OT

R1OT Well-Known Member

I have probably 10 stations of all different kinds of music. So repetitive is never a problem for me. I also bit the bullet and bought the year subscription, since i got the Eris and a radio that plays nicely with it. I listen to Pandora a lot more now.

21. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

I like Slacker because you can choose a genre (Todays Hits, 80's, etc) and it will play from there instead of getting more specific. I haven't found any of the other players that can do that.

22. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Droid Live does that as well, but it give you shoutcast radio stations to choose from. While it not as good as pandora the stations on shoutcast are pretty good. You get a good selection of all the genres available. I usually listen to top40 and all hits stations, but thats my preference.

23. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Pointy wooden sticks scare me. Pandora and Slacker are just cool. ;)

24. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Just tried out Slacker Radio. It is way better than Pandora. In Slacker Radio, there are actually categories unlike in Pandora. Time to uninstall Pandoraaaaaaa.

25. tameejean

tameejean New Member

I was just messing around with my Pandora online account and I found that it does have categories (genres). You just click on 'Genre Stations' and then each genre is broken down into more granular categories like Pop can be 'teen pop' 'alternative pop' etc. I added a few and then went to my Pandora on my phone and there they were :cool: Love this!