• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pandora - video ads. . . what?

CurtX

Dec 16, 2011
What is the point of Pandora having video ads? On a music streaming app for mobile devices? Typically Pandora mobile app users do not watch their device when listening to music. This seems to be the definition of stupid. Maybe on a music video app it might make sense, but not a music only app.

Why do I care? I do not mind audio ads, I get it, they need to make money from their sponsors. But video ads consume much more data. And many of us are on limited data usage plans, or throttled plans. I recently discovered that each one of these video ads can be around 30MB or more. These add up. I am with VM and they have data free music, but that excludes ads.

I suspect this is a ploy by Pandora to coax you into paying for Pandora One. They purposely waste data consumption with video ads that nobody will ever visually see with hopes you will want to subscribe to avoid this. But that sort of offsets the point of having a less expensive limited data plan.

Does anyone know if iHeartRadio has video ads too? This app is also partnered with VM's data free music, but have not used it much.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones