Parallel Kingdom

1. Masonator

Masonator Well-Known Member

Word up guys, first post so - hi!

Anyone been following Parallel kingdom? It was released today and it turns out its US only for "legal reasons". The fact that they do not elaborate any further or that its the first time they have mentioned this is mind bogglingly frustrating to me and the entire world apart from the US i'm sure, however that's not why i'm posting. 2 questions:

1. Americans - Is it any good?
    2. Developers - What could be the legal reasons?

Advertisement
    :
  2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

I just downloaded it and tried it out. It's very cool. The screens are gorgeous.

Gameplay is so-so, I think more needs to happen though. I also think there was an issue with losing connection occasionally which eventually made me put it down out of frustration.

I think the release is based on their rights to use a map maybe. That would be my only guess. They probably have US map rights but maybe not global rights yet for the mapping data.
  3. BryanNO

BryanNO New Member

Been playing this game all morning. Heading down to pick up lunch with my G1 open right now. This might convince me to walk to more places for lunch!

If you're not from the US and want to see what the actual gameplay is like, check out this review:

http://www.androidapps.com/t/parallel-kingdom

-BryanNO
  4. SirFenwick

SirFenwick Well-Known Member

I kind of hate all the emails you receive.

But its a interesting thing.
  5. dkaufman1

What emails? I haven't gotten any.

BTW - I am currently 11th overall of 758! But I have no more monsters in my area. And I am not going anywhere anytime soon. So now what?
  6. SirFenwick

I kept getting emails everytime I got attacked... Even when I wasn't in the game.
  7. BryanNO

BryanNO New Member

Yea,
    Talked to Justin Beck over at PerBlue. Looks like you're gonna get emails whenever you're NOT in the game if you get attacked or die. There is no way to shut them off yet, nor is there a sleep timer for it. Hopefully they'll add one soon.
  8. dkaufman1

Weird that I haven't gotten one yet at all...I did turn of GPS when I wasn't playing though. Also there are no monsters on my screen, so only the "random chance" another player walks by me I guess.
  9. Masonator

Sounds like its pretty cool. Needs to come to the uk asap!
  10. dkaufman1

I got an email from the CEO! I made a few comments to them via email and the CEO himself wrote back.

I complimented them but also explained that it was frustrating to kill everything in my area and have nothing left to do since I was not leaving my desk that afternoon. I also explained that the constant loss of connection to the GPS despite my device still showing my location and GPS working find in Google Maps was a bit frustrating.
  11. SirFenwick

I'd like them to make the map that overlays the US. Something to fancy it up a bit, walking around on a grey map isn't the best. Turning the roads into dirt roads, making it look a little different and give it variety.
    Honeybooboo likes this.
  12. koffi

koffi Member

i got up to 3rd place in gold last night, but havent played since.
  13. dubb

dubb Member

I like this game its pretty cool. I wish that I could see more human players online. How would I accomplish that I don't know. What If we have a bunch of people in one town play the game. Also, I don't know if its my connection or the fact that I don't get 3G I keep getting disconnected. I don't have wifi router at home so I have yet to find out. Overall, I would like to see this game evolve.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  14. dkaufman1

dubb - same issues as you, disconnects and no other people around
  15. Alarictric

Alarictric Member

I haven't been able to get passed the "downloading data" bit yet, even while on wifi. How long is that supposed to take? I've let it run for at least an hour
  16. Zinzi

Zinzi Well-Known Member

Agreed. Though I've got a feeling it'd be pretty boring as I doubt there will be many other people playing over here.
  17. TateWatkins

TateWatkins Well-Known Member

Even so i will probably still get it!

Won't playing it mean you have to keep gps on....bye bye battery life...
  18. Zinzi

Zinzi Well-Known Member

Yeah I can see it being a battery killer.

Haha, it's just gonna be me & you playing. Awesome.
  19. skryer

skryer Well-Known Member

well i know with the iphone version you can use the cell towers to triangulate your position and move around there, not as accurate but still playable if you are worried about battery life
  20. TateWatkins

That would be good if it could do that too :D
  21. dkaufman1

Once it understands where you are, you get a radius of a few miles from the tower (cell tower) that you can move and explore. When you are done killing the monsters you can shut the gps down again to preserve battery life.
  22. Masonator

BlackOctober from the parallel kingdom forums reckons

"...The issue is, they don't have privelages to use Australian GPS maps yet, due to privacy reasons. Justin and his crew are hoping to get rights to use these maps so people outside of the United States can play..."

Does that mean that every other GPS using application has had applied for the priveleges in each individual country? or does that question make me sound like a complete ******?
  23. TateWatkins

Well i am pretty sure they would need to ask area 51 to use it haha!

But yeah i think you do need some kind of permission to use a countrys layout?
  24. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

Thanks for the heads up on the e-mails. I'm not going to download/try it just because of that. I get enough junk emails as it is. I'll be following this thread however and give it a whirl when there is a "sleep" mode.
  25. dkaufman1

Rob I haven't seen a single email from this application.