Paranoid about Viruses.Tips

1. Razrwire

Razrwire Active Member

So, this is my first post on here in a while. Old phone was a Droid Razr Maxx. I love this phone and have had it for about a month or so. Anyway, a virus pretty much killed my Razr Maxx as a hacker was controlling my phone. All anti- virus programs detected nothing. Fast forward to now. Changed all my passwords before purchasing this phone. (changed them all on my wife's Ipad.) About 2 weeks ago, switched to malwarebytes out of fear of other A. V. Programs not working. Had a message popup that said "check android for virus". I have not been surfing on questionable sites as far as I know. Also, have been getting spam emails that I don't usually get. I have a feeling clicking the unsubscribe link may make it worse with these emails. Any tips? Sorry for the long post.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Never click on any dialog box on any website unless you are absolutely sure that it can be trusted.

A random dialog saying your system is infected ... click here to correct it ... is a pretty good indication that some pre-pubescent boy is playing. "Geeze when the user reads this he's going to freak".

The apps in Play Store are very clean. The last problem I heard of was well over a year ago. So installing apps from Play Store is pretty safe.

A lot of things that people call "virus" are really "malware". Most of them are misleading ads that popup when you don't expect them. When they show up ... don't respond. Report them to the location you got them from and uninstall the app.

Posting your annoyance with the author of the app in the forum dedicated to your phone in Android Forums might help others weed them out.

... Thom
  3. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Well-Known Member

You reflash the Razr Maxx with Matlgrogff (sp?) tool? As for the Maxx, the included Verizon anti-virus app is a decent start.
  4. Razrwire

Razrwire Active Member

I have not tried the Matlgrogff sp tool yet. I have tried a few things but have not devoted a ton of time yet. The reason I thought someone was controlling my phone is because(while I was looking @ the screen,) the person opened my Gmail and typed me a message that read "I am controlling your phone and have fun with Android antivirus." Factory resets did not help. When I would open apps, they would close immediately as if somebody was waiting to close it. I will not click on a virus popup and have not clicked on the suspicious email spam. Just a little nervous and even as I am typing this my keyboard is acting strange.
  5. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Well-Known Member

That utility is a super easy program to use. It will reflash the phone back to factory state, wiping the whole phone. Reformat the SD card on a computer, to a different file format, then back to what the phone used. The utility version I forget exactly, but it states 'Jelly Bean' in the title. You'll find more direct help and info over at DroidRzr.com