Parental controls and billing on evo

Last Updated:

1. Nightengale

Nightengale New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting an evo and my parents are strict. So I was wondering if they could access or see what apps I download, when I use the Internet, etc. I know they can view my text messages and phone calls on the bill or online with sprint. So I was wondering if it works the same way with apps and the Internet. If anyone could please help me that'd be great. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

from what I understand yes...they can do so with apps, and can get some (limited data) via sprint.

be a good kid and do what your parents tell you to. there is a reason for it.

if you aren't already of age...wait until you are and get a phone on your own and do what you want

if you are..what the heck are you doing leaching off your parents :p jokes a plenty

3. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

btw, they can not see your texts or even who you text on your bill. all it shows is how many texts you use

4. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Go check out a book from the library about the Menedez brothers. Leave it laying somewhere they'll find it! They'll stop bothering you!

5. GodsMoon

GodsMoon Member

I'm working on an app/service that would do exactly what you are asking for. But its not done yet. :(

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

No but you can install an app that forwards all sms/mms to an email address.

7. Parental Control Software

Parental Control Software New Member

They certainly can see EVERYTHING. With the right parental control app. And, you will not be able to erase the trail b/c it can be uploaded to a secure server as you are doing it.
    Best off not doing things they won't like if they were cool enough to get you such and cool phone maybe?

Thanks.
    Android parental control

8. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

I will be getting my daughter an Android phone for Christmas... could you please tell me... is there some kind of software that would limit what she is able to view with the browser, or only software that will allow us to view what she has already viewed?

What would your recommendations be? She is only 11 years old so I would really like to limit the internet browsing more than anything.

Thank you!

9. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Really?

Please explain why an 11 year old needs a smartphone. I can think of plenty of reasons why it's a bad idea.

10. April_Fool_79

April_Fool_79 Well-Known Member

Kids that young really don't need a full smartphone. I'd recommend a QWERTY keyboard phone for texting (since that's what they're going to be doing mostly), and that has Facebook / MySpace apps, and a screen big enough for some basic internet viewing (checking movie times, business info, the "reference" type stuff), they really don't do a whole lot of internet usage. If you're looking at Sprint phones specifically, you'd do good with one along the lines of the Samsung Seek, LG Remarq, LG Rumor Touch, Samsung Restore, etc. Landscape (sideways) keyboards are more comfortable for lots of texting than portrait (up and down) keyboards.

You can view phone calls made and received (phone numbers only, no names), the amount of text messages sent (but not the dates / times, people they were sent to, or the context of the message), and the amount of data used (again, no dates / times or what was viewed) on bills. The only way to get additional text / data information is through a subpoena for court cases. If you don't trust your kid to use it responsibly (well, relatively speaking, they *ARE* still kids and bound to be silly at times), DON'T GET IT FOR THEM!! If you feel they really REALLY *REALLY* need a phone to be able to get in touch with you at any time, get a prepaid phone, and knock the snot out of them if they use it when they aren't supposed to. I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 16, and that was only because I was driving out to the beach and back late at night for my job, and I had a POS car that mom was worried may break down at any time (never did, but the phone came in handy to let her know we were stopping for food afterward, so she didn't panic and send the cops out if I was late), and she (rightly so) didn't feel it would be safe for a 16 year old female to be wandering around at midnight looking for help.

11. Parental Control Software

Parental Control Software New Member

If the kid is under sixteen I say stripped down phone. If they are over that age and you can afford it get them the cool one. If they are good kids and make good grades. It can be used as incentive to do better and taken away to punish. There is not too many things a parent can do when the kid is as tall as you. Just taking away prividges. And here is a page with some good information dedicated to the Android Keylogger Android Keylogger | Parental Control Software

12. CarrieK

CarrieK Well-Known Member

You know, I have mixed feelings about apps like this. Yes, kids need supervision, but if you can't trust them to the extent you need to know what they are texting and you need to record keystrokes then there are serious issues. Same with spouses. I can see this being an evidence gathering thing. Jmho.

13. evanflow

evanflow Member

It's really key to be ABLE to see whats going on. Have the capability but only use it if you have to do so.
    Additionally, the location features of most of these apps can help you locate the phone and or erase the phone if the kid loses it.

14. CarrieK

CarrieK Well-Known Member

Lookout has the ability to remotely locate the device and erase contents if the phone is lost without the spying.