• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Parental Restrictions?

willettw

Lurker
Jun 2, 2010
I just got an Android phone for my son. Is there any way to set up parental restrictions on the phone so he doesn't have full access to everything on the browser? I have hidden the browser icon, but that's not going to work very long. He's not very computer/tech savvy, but his friends will show him. His iPod Touch has restriction settings, so wondering if Android has anything like it. I've searched this forum and the net and haven't found anything.

If you have Verizon you can go to your account on verizonwireless.com and set an filter access level for browsing. I don't know if some apps download photos/content directly to your phone, but if they require any internet access Verizon will block it based on your filter setting.

The only bypass to be aware of is if you have a wifi connection in your house that doesn't go through Verizon then the filter won't catch it.

I don't know of any app setting like the Iphone/Ipod touch and the only way I can think of to remove the browser is to "root" you phone which is on a whole different level.

(If you don't have Verizon I am sorry that I wasn't much help.)

There is a parental control app in the market called SMobile Parental Control. It cost $29.99 and I can't vouch for it either good or bad (only did a general search for parental control apps for this post).

Upvote 0
I would like my son to NOT have access to a browser on his Android phone, if I buy him one. Sounds awful, but some apps act like focused mini browsers (e.g. weather and stock quotes) without the distraction of a browser. I have an Apple iTouch and the browser can be inactivated and adding apps can require a password. This allows the phone apps to be selected to do exactly what is needed without kids getting an opportunity to get into trouble on the web. If equivalent functionality exists in the Android system, I would like to know about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones