Partial Touch Screen Failure - Should I Replace the Droid?

What should I do?

1. Return the phone now and roll the dice on a replacement Droid 1

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Wait it out for a while until they have to replace it with a Droid X/Droid 2 etc

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Wait it out even longer for the next generation of Android phones

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Other - specify in post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Last Updated:

1. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So my beloved Droid is finally starting to show her age. Part of the touch screen has failed on the very right side of the screen as can be seen here:

[​IMG]

The phone is still fully functional other than this and appears to be one of the better units out there (runs perfectly stably with 1.2ghz ulv kernels, gets great battery life and has a bubbly keyboard).

Having this portion of the touch screen go out does cause a few major problems though:

-Search hardware button no longer works
    -Can't use notification blind in landscape view
    -Can't hit backspace on portrait on-screen keyboard
    -Many software buttons (like the ones in maps) can't be used in portrait

What would you guys do if you were in my situation?

P.S. I have already visited my local VZW store and was assured they have replacement Droid 1s in stock.

Advertisement
  2. Jim Dawson

Jim Dawson Well-Known Member

Isn't it still under the one year warranty? I'd sure get it fixed or replaced.

3. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Asurian supposedly has an adequate supply of Droids now. However, why would this even be an insurance issue? It should be replaced no problem under warranty.

4. nstallion

I never said anything about Asurion or insurance. I know this would be under warranty. None of that has anything to do with the questions I asked.

5. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Right you are, my bad. :eek:

Get it replaced under warranty then.

6. ludachris

ludachris Member

same thing happened to my droid that i had from jan. it was same one with the bubbly keyboard. i tried to live with it for a week, but i couldnt deal with the pains of trying to get around without using that side of the screen. it was covered under factory warranty, so i just got another droid so i could use my search buttons and right side of the screen.

7. DarcMasta

DarcMasta Active Member

I would say that if it really bothers you that much, replace it so long as they don't extend your contract! But other than that I would wait for the next phone coming along the way, Maybe another variation of a Droid, or that rumored 1.3ghz phone by HTC. =x

8. nstallion

Well thankfully I spent a lot of time procrastinating over un rooting it to take it back and that portion of the screen randomly started working again! I'm not sure if this had anything to do with flashing back to stock FRG01B but at least I don't have to worry about getting stuck with a crappy refurb or a locked boot loader.

9. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Or more importantly, a not-bubbly-keyboard. I have a bubbly one too and man, it is MILES ahead of the new flat crap they use. But yeah, I've seen this issue a few times before as well. Capacitive touchscreens are affected by many parameters like temperature, humidity, and dirt and debris on the screen. They crap out for a while sometimes.

10. nstallion

Yeah I spoke too soon. It's doing it again! ARG. I think it's humidity.

11. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Is it the same spots on the touchscreen? If so that's weird. But yeah, it has been really humid lately. At least where I am... which is all the way across the country from where you are so that didn't really help. :D

12. nstallion

Well it's been hot as balls here. 100+ peak. So my pocket has been getting humid from me sweating my balls off (since it is hot as balls) and that probably hasn't helped.

Yes it's in exactly the same spot. I turned it off and put it in front of my AC vent for a while and it started working and then stopped again shortly after I began using it.

It might just be on it's last legs and I'll have to replace it.