• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Partition SD card GS4 help, please

jrvasey

Jul 15, 2013
NY
Hi all. I have a Rooted SGH M919N and a 32gb ext sd card. I have some movies I've sabed on it, but also want to put some large apps there. I have Links2SD but I've never partitioned anything.

I found directions online that said to back up everything then just boot into recovery TWRP, and go to advanced》partition sd card.

Unfortunately, there was no such button under advanced or anywhere else in TWRP recovery.

Additionally, I don't know what settings to pick, nor what "fat32" and other terminology means.

Can anyone help?

I'm happy to donate.....

when i attempt to do so, i get the following message:

"App2SD is not supported on your device. Because your device has a primary external storage which is emulated from the internal storage. You can link the app in order to move its files to your SD card"

However, the "link" button is also greyed out in Links2SD and it says "second partition not found" next to "symbolic link"

Upvote 0
the s4 can just move apps to sdcard in teh application manager. go to settings, the far right tab (wanna say its device) scroll down to you see applications, scroll through the list until you find one you wish to move to sdcard and click on it and move it.

i will note that many apps wont work as well or will run worse due to having their files split up all over the place. and when you boot your device it will take longer for those apps to become usable.

Upvote 0
Not sure why you posted this in the Metro section, it should be in the root section of the forum for your phone, or maybe in the Applications forum.
But anyway-
To use Link2SD for moving apps on a rooted phone, you must first partition the SD card. Rather than trying to do this in the phone, it's easier to do it on a PC using a partition manager such as EaseUs Partition Master. EaseUs is a free download, you can Google for it.
First back up anything on the SD card you want to save, then use the partition manager to create a second partition on the card in FAT32. The partition sizes can be whatever you want, I used a 16GB card and divided it in half. Obviously the first partition should be large enough to hold your existing data that you wish to save, the second partition will be used by Link2SD to move apps. Note that any data files associated with moved apps will remain on the internal storage.
Once you have created and verified the second partition on the card, you can put it back in the phone and Link2SD should now offer the "Create Link" option. This is what you use to move apps, although it's counter-intuitive the "Move to SD" option will not work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones