1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

partition sd card without computer?

1. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL * VIP Member

Does anyone know if you can partition your sd card without a computer? I think i read that there was an app to do it,but I don't remember the name of it.
    Reason being I want links 2sd and I have no access to a pc.
    T.I.A.

Advertisement
    :
  2. kwknott

kwknott Well-Known Member Contributor

Not sure of an app to do it but if you have a custom recovery you can partition it there. Most will create an ext3 partition. This method will erase everything from sdcard though
  3. badblue1

I will put in a custom recovery but doesn't. Sd card need to beg fat32?
  4. kwknott

I use link2sd and it supports fat32, ext2, 3, and 4. When you first run it, it will ask for the partition type.
    badblue1 likes this.
  5. CuriousNoob

CuriousNoob Well-Known Member

There's a recovery, I forgot which, has the option to partition to 0. Ill look around for you
    kwknott likes this.
  6. badblue1

I wish I had more time to post but I'm at work.Thanks for the help I'll check this out after work.what recovery do you advise, eventually I want to put backside rom on my phone when all the bugs are worked out.I semi bricked once don't want to again!!!!
  7. kwknott

I use BACKside and it runs great. No bugs that I know of. Jerry just released a new build today along with a recovery he made. With both you can do automatic rom updates, backups and restores. Very nice. Check into both the threads.
  8. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

The problem with some ext partitions is they don't work with Link2SD on all ROM's. FAT32 will work with Link2SD on any custom ROM made to this date. You can use ext.3, but you will have to try and see what ROM it will work on.
    I do not know of any app that will partition the SD card while still in the phone. The recovery is the only way to partition without a computer.
    badblue1 and kwknott like this.
  9. riggerman1

riggerman1 Well-Known Member

The problem with a FAT32 partition is that some recoveries will not properly backup or restore your partition with your linked apps. As far as i know, all the cwm based recoveries will backup ext4 or ext3, but from my experience, will fail when trying to restore a FAT32 partition.
    kwknott and AndyOpie150 like this.
  10. badblue1

:confused:so what should I do,fat32 or ext2,3,4. I'm definitely going to put Jerry's new build on my phone as soon as I grow some!
  11. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

JerryScripts Green recovery backed up my FAT32 partition flawlessly. So did the BobZohme recovery (VM670NH_recovery.img).
    BACKside didn't work with ext.3 (this is what the recovery made), but will work with FAT32, ext,2 and ext.4.
    You have to decide. FAT32,ext.2 or ext.4
    badblue1 likes this.