• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Partitioned SD card, but partition not recognized

Bukvoed

Lurker
Apr 13, 2014
I just rooted my Desire (GSM, Android 2.2.2) following this guide: http://androidforums.com/desire-all...ff-root-htc-desire-revolutionary-updated.html. This seems to have worked pretty well.

Then I wanted to partition the SD card (Kingston SDHC, 32 GB, Class 10) for more internal memory space. I used the 4Ext recovery app to make a 1024 mb EXT4 sd-ext partition (and skipped the 2nd sd-ext and swap partitions).

When I press 'info' in recovery mode, all looks well, and the partition is listed. However, when I reboot, the partition doesn't seem to be recognized. Neither DiskUsage, FreeSpace or Mounts2SD recognizes it.
The strange thing is, when I open the 4Ext Recovery app and go Recovery -> Print Partition Info, it shows me a table listing the sd-ext partition, but saying 0 MB for both capacity and free space (but in recovery mode it lists the space I partitioned).

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong, or what I can do to successfully partition the SD card? So far I have tried to make a smaller (512 mb) partition and to make it EXT3 instead of EXT4. Neither have worked.

Um, wow. That's a good question. I hadn't actually done anything except following those instructions, so I guess I had the shipped ROM still? In any case, your comment made me go try out a couple of ROMs, and the partitioning worked just fine immediately after installing the first one, so thanks! I feel kind of stupid for not doing that already, though.
(Of course now the problem is finding a ROM that suits me and that's not too slow or prone to crashing, but that's a different challenge.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones