Partitioning sd card; what is swap size?Support

1. danielvago

danielvago Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of rooting and flashing a ROM, but when I came to this point it left me wondering.

I'm following this guide:
    HTC Desire - [GUIDE] Rootin & Flashing ROM

During the partition of the SD card, I chose 512MB for the EXT, and the next option is to set the "swap".

I've read a few places it should be 0MB, but what is it and why should it be 0?

Advertisement
  2. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

SWAP=0, EXT=1024MB, Rest=FAT32
    Thoragh likes this.
  3. danielvago

danielvago Well-Known Member

I don't know what that means.

I was using ROM Manager to do it, and it only had two options:

First I only had an option to chose my EXT size (sat it to 512MB, this was the highest amount) and the next, and final, option was the "swap size".
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

set 0 as eddy said.
  5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

swap is a trick used by linux/unix for caching memory to a drive to free up ram to be used for more active programs
    kernels have to have swap enabled to run it and in some cases it can make the devices lag if swap is not configured correctly and even worse if there is no compcache
    fast sdcard is needed and tbh its rare you run out of ram with desire anyway
    wetbiker7 likes this.
  6. Thoragh

Thoragh New Member

Sorry for jumping in here, but I was having a similar issue although I was using ClockworkMod's built in partitioner. Just making sure I read right that I should have the ext partition set at 1GB and a swap of 0 since my guess is the Android OS doesn't really use it?

I am using an HTC EVO 4G and planning on putting on the newest version of the Kinged Shooter ROM by Team Nocturnal.
  7. 1st_Paladin

1st_Paladin Well-Known Member

Thought it depends on whether the ROM needs it right? Otherwise as mentioned it should be set to 0.
  8. Thoragh

Thoragh New Member

Cool I will dig around some more. I saw it mention that I should partition my SD card, but did not see a specified size nor swap file mentioned.