• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Pass cursor to new activity

GabeRC

Lurker
Sep 30, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'm working on an app, and one activity has a worker thread that initiates a database query, and if there are results once it has returned I would like to send these results to a new activity that will display them. Unfortunately I don't see a way to pack the Cursor object into the Intent object that I am using to start the new activity. When I was doing Windows Mobile development in the past all I would do is edit the constructor for the window to pass in the data, I've searched around but I can't find a similar solution for Android. What is the best way to pass my database results into the new activity?

Perhaps I don't understand the real reason why you want to pass cursor into a new activity, but in general it's a real bad idea. It can be bad in general for complex objects roaming across activities but it's even worse for cursors - you create a cursor based on Context and thus it should not be used outside of this context. So there are two obvious solutions:
- pass URI rather than Cursor
- make query() in the same activity which is supposed to display query results

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones