• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Passion CPU will be underclocked. Not 1ghz.

Stop being a number person. It is not going to be 2x faster than droid clockspeed is not all that matters, if you don't know anything say nothing.
Some tests have shown iphone faster than toshiba tg01 (has snapdragon), in many graphics test.

And how did they do this comparison of an apple and an orange? Did they run Pong on the iPhone and say that since it had a faster framerate than Light Racer 3D on the TG01, the iPhone MUST be faster?

Upvote 0
Stop being a number person. It is not going to be 2x faster than droid clockspeed is not all that matters, if you don't know anything say nothing.
Some tests have shown iphone faster than toshiba tg01 (has snapdragon), in many graphics test.

How's this:
So what you are saying is it will only have a faster clock speed than the Droid (and the Eris), and may have a better battery life than other snapdragon phones due to the underclocking of the processor. Gee, decisions, decisions... Yep, I'm good waiting on the Passion/Dragon.

You are absolutely right. We will not know how fast the HTC Passion is compared to other phones until it is released and tested, if it even exists. All we have now is a few photos of a phone and a lot of hearsay and conjecture. So none of us in the HTC Passion forums truly knows anything for sure. I guess we need to ask the moderators to shut down this sub forum because none of us truly know anything about this phone so we shouldn't be talking about it.

And welcome to the forums. I noticed this is your 1st post. In the future feel free to ask questions, add to the conversation, and continue to correct other forum members posts.

Upvote 0
So what you are saying is it will only be twice as fast as the Droid (3x the Eris), and have better battery life. Gee, decisions, decisions... Yep, I'm good waiting on the Passion/Dragon

A snapdragon is twice as fast as a Cortex A8 CPU? You do realise they are completely different architectures and that mhz means nothing in that regard... right? It is twice as fast in the respect that an Intel P4 3ghz is twice as fast as an AMD Athlon 1.5ghz. Numbers only. In addition the Snapdragon GPU processing power is not as strong as a dedicated PowerVR processor as found in the iPhone or Droid.

I'm still waiting eagerly to see what this phone turns out like though... it's either this or the Droid for me. :)

Upvote 0
A snapdragon is twice as fast as a Cortex A8 CPU? You do realise they are completely different architectures and that mhz means nothing in that regard... right? It is twice as fast in the respect that an Intel P4 3ghz is twice as fast as an AMD Athlon 1.5ghz. Numbers only. In addition the Snapdragon GPU processing power is not as strong as a dedicated PowerVR processor as found in the iPhone or Droid.

I'm still waiting eagerly to see what this phone turns out like though... it's either this or the Droid for me. :)

I agree on both points...

Upvote 0

Hate to burst your bubble, or perhaps fill it up (in that case I aint sorry). But the Snapdragon can output 22 million triangles per second, the Iphone 3G S only does about 7. Snapdragon takes the graphics trophy.
Also the Snapdragon is near the Cortex in architecture. Hence speed should be somewhat relative.

Qualcomm Products and Services - The Snapdragon? Platform
Read under technical features

AnandTech: The iPhone 3GS Hardware Exposed & Analyzed

Upvote 0
Hate to burst your bubble, or perhaps fill it up (in that case I aint sorry). But the Snapdragon can output 22 million triangles per second, the Iphone 3G S only does about 7. Snapdragon takes the graphics trophy.
Also the Snapdragon is near the Cortex in architecture. Hence speed should be somewhat relative.

I can't recall what post it was in, but I know on Howard Forums, somebody posted a article showing the PowerVR chip in the Droid at 15 million triangles.

Upvote 0

OK. So.... "What are we talking about?" -- Chicken Little

Call me stupid. Or a noob. Whatever. But what do the output of triangles have to do with processor speed?

Upvote 0

There is no "bubble" that's been burst (goodness, I really am shocked at the kiddy attitidue on these forums, it's like being in a playground sometimes)... the whole main point of my post was processor speed, which was fully accurate. As for GPU speed...

Current Mobile GPUs: Triangles/sec, Fill Rate

*PowerVR MBX-Lite (iPhone 3G): 1 M triangles/s, 100 M pixels/s
*Samsung S3C6410 (Omnia II): 4 M triangles/s, 125.6 M pixels/s
*PowerVR SGX 520 (Palm Pre): 14 M triangles/s, ___ M pixels/s
*ATI Imageon Z430 (Toshiba TG01): 22 M triangles/s, 133 M pixels/s
*PowerVR SGX 535 (iPhone 3GS): 28 M triangles/s, 400 M pixels/s

Future Mobile GPUs:

*PowerVR SGX 540 (TI OMAP4): 35 M triangles/s, 1000 M pixels/s
*Nvidia Tegra APX2500 (Zune HD): 40 M triangles/s, 600 M pixels/s
*ATI Imageon _ (Qualcomm QSD8672): 80 M triangles/s, >500 M pixels/s

The PowerVR 535 processor in the 3GS is better than the Snapdragons 22 million triangles per second.

So...

Upvote 0
The Droid is powered by a PowerVR 530. As it stands right now, the GPU in the Snapdragon is very similar in performance to the GPU inside of the Droid. Both platforms are using a dedicated GPU as well. Is the Snapdragon going to be must faster than the Droid? No, it'll just be slightly faster. The CPU inside of the Droid packs a lot of power and isn't that far behind the Snapdragon CPU.

Upvote 0
There is no "bubble" that's been burst (goodness, I really am shocked at the kiddy attitidue on these forums, it's like being in a playground sometimes)... the whole main point of my post was processor speed, which was fully accurate. As for GPU speed...

Current Mobile GPUs: Triangles/sec, Fill Rate

*PowerVR MBX-Lite (iPhone 3G): 1 M triangles/s, 100 M pixels/s
*Samsung S3C6410 (Omnia II): 4 M triangles/s, 125.6 M pixels/s
*PowerVR SGX 520 (Palm Pre): 14 M triangles/s, ___ M pixels/s
*ATI Imageon Z430 (Toshiba TG01): 22 M triangles/s, 133 M pixels/s
*PowerVR SGX 535 (iPhone 3GS): 28 M triangles/s, 400 M pixels/s

Future Mobile GPUs:

*PowerVR SGX 540 (TI OMAP4): 35 M triangles/s, 1000 M pixels/s
*Nvidia Tegra APX2500 (Zune HD): 40 M triangles/s, 600 M pixels/s
*ATI Imageon _ (Qualcomm QSD8672): 80 M triangles/s, >500 M pixels/s

The PowerVR 535 processor in the 3GS is better than the Snapdragons 22 million triangles per second.

So...

First off the bubble comment wasn't an insult. But good job on your hypocrisy. When you're wrong, just admit it. Dont act like a 5 year old and hurl insults at someone else when they correct you. Its bad enough you get onto someone about processor architecture when you don't seem to have a clue what goes into the snapdragon or thats its very similar to the ARM in an Iphone.
As for your data, I'd love to see the source as a search just keeps kicking it back to a forum post which supposedly got the information from GLBenchmarks. Except the data there does not back it up. What they show is shockingly that the Iphone 3GS tops out at 6.5 million trianlges per sec.
GLBenchmark 1.1 Result Database
This of course would mean that the 535 is not in the Iphone 3G S, but rather the 520.

Upvote 0
First off the bubble comment wasn't an insult. But good job on your hypocrisy. When you're wrong, just admit it. Dont act like a 5 year old and hurl insults at someone else when they correct you. Its bad enough you get onto someone about processor architecture when you don't seem to have a clue what goes into the snapdragon or thats its very similar to the ARM in an Iphone.
As for your data, I'd love to see the source as a search just keeps kicking it back to a forum post which supposedly got the information from GLBenchmarks. Except the data there does not back it up. What they show is shockingly that the Iphone 3GS tops out at 6.5 million trianlges per sec.
GLBenchmark 1.1 Result Database
This of course would mean that the 535 is not in the Iphone 3G S, but rather the 520.

I didn't actually insult you, no need to get so defensive kiddo.

Here IPhone 3GS GPU Specs: PowerVR SGX 535 : Product Reviews Net

Plenty of confirmations on the web that it's the 535, people mistakenly thought it was the 520 originally http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...=1&ved=0CAYQBSgA&q=iphone+powervr+535&spell=1

iPhone developers, however, have discovered that the iPhone 3GS has extension files named "IMGSGX535GLDriver" suggesting that the new iPhone uses the more powerful graphics processor intended for "high end" mobile devices. This may not be entirely conclusive evidence by itself but it is consistent with a report from a Anandtech commenter who claims to have heard directly from Apple engineers at WWDC that the iPhone 3GS does indeed use the SGX 535. As seen from the above list, the 535 seems to deliver much greater performance over the originally believed 520 model as well as the 530 model found in the Palm Pre.

No hard feelings though old chap, you can't be right every time. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones