• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Passion/Dragon news for today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just hoping for a VZW release of the HTC Passion/Dragon before 1/1/2010 so I can finally cash in on the rebate cards (expiring 1/1/10) I've held for the past year or so. My company pays the monthly bills, so I've saved the $150 for when I can get the next device I want!! I don't care about Black Friday or Christmas... Jan 1 is my gotta-have-it-by date!

Get the Eris then return it withing 30 days.

Upvote 0
We've known about that site for a while - it looks fake and the HTC HD2 is not the Passion.

Not sure how to take this seeing the date it was purchased, but for what its worth, the domain registrar information is:

"Registration Service Provided By: NameCheap.com

Domain name: htcpassion.com

Registrant Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected ()

Fax:
8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #110 - 732
Westchester, CA 90045
US

Administrative Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected (a61918b6a7624a608988e8d3194a8d99.protect@whoisguard.com)
+1.6613102107
Fax: +1.6613102107
Westchester, CA 90045
US

Technical Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected (a61918b6a7624a608988e8d3194a8d99.protect@whoisguard.com)
+1.6613102107
Fax: +1.6613102107
Westchester, CA 90045
US

Name Servers:
ns1.made2own.com
ns2.made2own.com

Creation date: 16 Sep 2009 22:25:01
Expiration date: 16 Sep 2010 22:25:01"

Upvote 0
icon1.gif

I'm just hoping for a VZW release of the HTC Passion/Dragon before 1/1/2010 so I can finally cash in on the rebate cards (expiring 1/1/10) I've held for the past year or so. My company pays the monthly bills, so I've saved the $150 for when I can get the next device I want!! I don't care about Black Friday or Christmas... Jan 1 is my gotta-have-it-by date!

I guess you could buy something by the 1st and that'll give you 30 more days.

Upvote 0
Not sure how to take this seeing the date it was purchased...
Creation date: 16 Sep 2009 22:25:01
Expiration date: 16 Sep 2010 22:25:01"

Incidentally, the same date as this Phandroid article: HTC Passion: 3rd Verizon Android In 2009? | Android Phone Fans

So I think that refutes the idea that the person who created it had privileged knowledge.

However, it is interesting to read that two month article again especially since two of the three releases mentioned have happened:

Verizon is expected to cooperate with HTC to launch its first Android-powered smartphone, the HTC Desire, in the fourth quarter
The Desire was released as the Eris in the 4th quarter, check
..Commercial Times said, noting that the pair will also launch a mobile TV handset, the Whitestone, in the fourth quarter.
The Whitestone was released as the Imagio in the 4th quarter, check again
HTC is also likely to cooperate with Google again to roll out the next-generation Google phone, the Passion, in the fourth quarter, the paper added.
Hasn't happened yet, as we know, however all the chatter about a gPhone and HTC Passion pretty much jives with the idea of HTC working to bring about the "next-generation Google phone" aka "The Passion". Two questions still remain; Will this happen in the 4th quarter as the source speculates and which carrier(s)?

Upvote 0
Incidentally, the same date as this Phandroid article: HTC Passion: 3rd Verizon Android In 2009? | Android Phone Fans

So I think that refutes the idea that the person who created it had privileged knowledge.

However, it is interesting to read that two month article again especially since two of the three releases mentioned have happened:

The Desire was released as the Eris in the 4th quarter, check

The Whitestone was released as the Imagio in the 4th quarter, check again

Hasn't happened yet, as we know, however all the chatter about a gPhone and HTC Passion pretty much jives with the idea of HTC working to bring about the "next-generation Google phone" aka "The Passion". Two questions still remain; Will this happen in the 4th quarter as the source speculates and which carrier(s)?

More likely 1st qtr of 2010. As for carrier, kinda has to be Verizon. I'm not aware of another company that has made quite the same agreement that VZW and Google announced. Releasing the Google phone on a smaller network would probably not have the same impact as Google would want.
The sad thing about this saga so far is the HD2 would be the king of phones right now, if it didnt have WinMo.

Upvote 0
I believe it will come out before Christmas. Phones that are coming out in 2010 are well known and talked about (X10, HD2, Liquid, etc). They aren't as much of a threat to the Droid because their release date is far enough away (and they will probably be on non-Verizon carriers). I believe they have kept the Passion a secret because if they had announced it a month ago, it would have killed Droid sales, and resulted in a lot of returns. Just my theory....

Upvote 0
I believe it will come out before Christmas. Phones that are coming out in 2010 are well known and talked about (X10, HD2, Liquid, etc). They aren't as much of a threat to the Droid because their release date is far enough away (and they will probably be on non-Verizon carriers). I believe they have kept the Passion a secret because if they had announced it a month ago, it would have killed Droid sales, and resulted in a lot of returns. Just my theory....

Definite possibility - your logic is decent.

Upvote 0
Lending credence to Verizon trying to move Droids before a new launch: both my wife and I got text messages yesterday offering an early upgrade (not up until August) only for a Droid or a Blackberry Storm. Currently have the HTC TouchPro, and can't wait if the HD2 comes out on Android 2.0!! Will certainly wait to steer clear of Motorola.

thoughts?

Upvote 0
Lending credence to Verizon trying to move Droids before a new launch: both my wife and I got text messages yesterday offering an early upgrade (not up until August) only for a Droid or a Blackberry Storm. Currently have the HTC TouchPro, and can't wait if the HD2 comes out on Android 2.0!! Will certainly wait to steer clear of Motorola.

thoughts?
correct me if im wrong but I thought that in an engadget review for the HD2 it is running WinMo 6.5? Sense UI is integrated so its not horribly different then some current android phones but I am 99% sure the HD2 is windows mobile.

Upvote 0
i dont know whitey's sources but everything i have heard is that they are not making an android version of the hd2 but do hear rumors of and android device running 2.0 with the snapdragon so i am thinking it will be like the hero/eris also maybe thinner though who knows if it is as thin as the hd2 or looks just like it i would be happy even if the camera stook out a bit and made it un level

Upvote 0
i dont know whitey's sources but everything i have heard is that they are not making an android version of the hd2 but do hear rumors of and android device running 2.0 with the snapdragon so i am thinking it will be like the hero/eris also maybe thinner though who knows if it is as thin as the hd2 or looks just like it i would be happy even if the camera stook out a bit and made it un level

yea to be honest i don't have a "source" i thought the general consensus was that the passion was going to be a lot like the hero/eris. why would they release the exact same phone one with winmo and one with android?

Upvote 0
I don't recall anyone officially stating that HTC was going to make an "identical" Android Version of the HD2.

As far as the hardware goes, yes, it sounds like there WILL be an Android Device coming that breathes life and total badassness, (Is that a word? It is NOW!) with a 1Ghz Snapdragon Processor, also possibly sporting the same size screen as the HD2.

The leaked picture of the "Dragon/Passion looks nothing like the HD2...Once again, proving (if real & a final physical design) that NO ONE ever said that an IDENTICAL HD2 Android phone was in the works.

Think of the all the rumors & news of an HD2 Android phone coming, not to be taken literally.

ONLY consider the release of HTC's Dragon/Passion Android Device as HTC's answer to the Windows Mobile HTC HD2 device.

Its a fairly easy concept to grasp.

An easy void(void where HTC produces an Android Device similar in Hardware to the HD2) that HTC, again I assume will eventually fill, and has had plans of filling, for quite some time.

It only makes perfect sense... (Get it? haha)
Why only produce smartphones with 1Ghz Snapdragon processors for only one Platform, like Windows Mobile?
Exactly, it doesn't.

The above is my opinion & what I believe.

I have come across several articles online where its almost instantly clear, that whoever posted an article relating to the HTC Dragon/Passion, has absolutely NO idea what they were writing/typing about.

If there IS a webpage where someone HAS claimed a PHYSICALLY Identical HD2 Android phone is coming, please correct me and post the link below.

The phone may not even be called Dragon or Passion. Time will tell.

Although I really feel that "Dragon" is a cool name & superior marketing name, could also support an awesome line of commercials...Followed by lots of $$$$ for Verizon, HTC, etc.

Look at all the Motorola Droid commercials...
The commercials deliver, and so does the Motorola Droid.
We are nearly in 2010, Computer Graphics can really yield some top notch & entertaining commercials.

Thank You For Your Time ;)

Upvote 0
So, I decided to stop by a Verizon store in Knoxville, TN on Black Friday. I waltzed right up to the service desk and asked the rep what he knew about the upcoming HTC Passion. His response was (and bear in mind, I'm paraphrasing) "I'm really looking forward to it's release. Android should run really well on Snapdragon."

Dunno if this counts for confirmation or not. He could just be another hopeful fan like us. Still, it's an encouraging sign.

Upvote 0
So, I decided to stop by a Verizon store in Knoxville, TN on Black Friday. I waltzed right up to the service desk and asked the rep what he knew about the upcoming HTC Passion. His response was (and bear in mind, I'm paraphrasing) "I'm really looking forward to it's release. Android should run really well on Snapdragon."

Dunno if this counts for confirmation or not. He could just be another hopeful fan like us. Still, it's an encouraging sign.

That was encouraging to hear..thanks for posting it,because I too am waiting!!

Thanks again, but I hope I have mine before you have yours..hahaha..j/k

Upvote 0

To another here in East TN it sounds good to me. I have been meaning to stop by the Sevierville store. Have some acquaintances that work there so hoping they'll give a little info. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones