Passionate about Texting??... Handcent!!!

Last Updated:

1. gingergirl

gingergirl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've heard all of you talking about Handcent.. but never checked it out. But WOW... it's AMAZING!!! If you love to text, it's an absolute "must"!! I have just spent the past hour playing and tweaking!! SUCH FUN!!!

Advertisement
  2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

GG you got the T9 thru hand cent?

3. PJnc284

PJnc284 Well-Known Member

yeah, Handcent was the first app I downloaded when I got the Fascinate. I had used it for about 9 months on the Droid and the customization options are leaps and bounds ahead of the stock messaging app.

4. gingergirl

No, saps, not through HC.... the T9 app that saved me from giving up on the SF is "Smart Keyboard Pro"... I love it! But I had NO idea how amazing Handcent was!! It works in tandem with my T9 setup... but I was able to totally customize the "bubbles" and backgrounds... and on and on and ON... the variables are literally ENDLESS!!! I fall more and more in love with this phone by the minute!! Who the hell needs a MAN??? lmao!!!

5. Rimzy

Rimzy Well-Known Member

GG did u get the free version or the pro? I kinda like the stock messaging apparently because when I get a message and the phone is unlocked I get the puzzle notification thingy which I like on the unlocked k screen. What is the notification like on handcent? Is it just a status bar thing only.? Thanks.

6. gingergirl

Hey Rimzy ... Hi! .... well... geeze... I have been doing some crazy downloading today..lol.. so, I'm not even sure If I paid for it or not ... hmmm. I also got a different "locker" app... so the puzzle piece is gone. But I have it configured so it shows a number to each along the dock of, like, missed calls (pretty telling, huh?? missed calls??? why the hell don't I answer the phone??? lol)... Texts... and emails. Hopefully this answers your question??

7. Rimzy

Rimzy Well-Known Member

OK cool did u get widget locker?

8. ironhorse

ironhorse Well-Known Member

Just got this app and it is a great app. Replaced my reg messaging app with it.

9. gingergirl

Yup... widget locker. I'm on the fence about it though. Sometimes when I wake the phone up and swipe the unlock thing.. a flash of the old puzzle locker streaks through first... I'm sure there's a way to get rid of that. I imagine it's running somewhere in the background. Anyone know how to avoid this? Also another thing I'm wondering about... anyone know if the little widgetlocker icon that appears along the top can be avoided? I'm an extreme minimalist when it comes to my phone... and I would prefer not to see that.. anyone?

10. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Handcent can be configured to give you the actual text incoming so you can read it [it will wake the phone if sleeping] and then X out and then you never actually have to unlock the screen with the puzzle piece [which as GG said is not available with HC].

11. gingergirl

If anyone is perplexed by the behavior of texting coming from a non-smart phone to the SF... you might want to check out a post I placed in the "troubleshooting" portion of the forum in the "enhanced messaging" thread. Hope it helps someone.

12. Puddin422

Puddin422 Well-Known Member

I downloaded Handcent JUST for the customizable notifications, but they never work. I set it to turn the screen on when I receive a text. It's 50/50. I set it to NOT sound the notification sound when I'm on a phone call. Doesn't work at all. So friggin annoying to have to listen to your entire text notification while talking to someone. (meanwhile you can't hear what the person is saying until it's done..)

I'm back to stock messaging on Epic. I don't like the bubble thing on Handcent anyway, and it was a total pain in the ass to make it look like the stock app. If it's not gonna do what it's supposed to do..............

13. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

I personally didn't think much for Handcent going back to my Droid. The only reason I used it was in-order to view GIF. images but since the Fascinate can do it there was no reason to install it.

14. saps

saps Well-Known Member

And thats the beauty of Android...choices. I was resistant to Handcent at first and preferred the stock msg app. Eventually I moved over as I do like the preview pop-up but everyone has their own style and the good news is usually there is some app which fits their desires/needs