Password Manager App (QR or Barcodes)

1. Dridas

Dridas New Member

Alright, so here's the story, and where this thought is coming from. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. Today during my lunch I decided to try to log in to a website, but couldn't remember my password- forgot password button right? Did that, reset the password and logged in.

I've been dying to use the NFC functions of the SG3, that were crippled by TMO. Go figure. So I wondered it there was a keyboard out there that had an NFC reader built in, that would just send keystrokes- nope. Then, I got to thinking about barcodes, and QR Codes. My dad has a barcode scanner- turns out if you don't have the drivers/software installed, it just sends the code as if it's a keyboard input.

So, here's the thought- a Password Manager that will store your passwords, and create the QR code on the fly. Moreover- QR Codes will allow low-level ASCII, so theoretically you could have username <tab> password <enter>, and that data would be sent as keystrokes, as if you had typed it in. I only say on the 'fly', since passwords are subject to change, and wouldn't have to be stored as an image.

Seems like it would be a relatively easy mod to an already existent Password Manager, just wonder if it's worth it. QR Code scanners can be somewhat pricey, while barcode scanners can be had fairly cheep. I just purchased a QR code scanner for about 45 bucks. I'm also unsure if barcodes will allow low-level ascii codes, but I know QR Codes can.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Sorry, but why would I want my passwords displayed as QR codes? On or in what?

The free barcode reader app from the Play Store also reads QR codes. So if you have an Android phone it looks like you wasted 45 bucks...