• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Password protecting installations from market?

Catfish

Jul 25, 2010
home.beardeddonkey.com
This question may seem strange but I have a reason, can you password protect the right to either 1. access the market completely or 2. install apps from the market or 3. buy apps from the market? Or is there a way to set up with google an email confirmation system to purchase apps?

The reason I want this is because my two year old daughter likes to play kid apps on my phone (free ones or paid) and in the course of her playing the games she likes to press other things and has started purchasing apps from the market. Of course, I can't refund these because by the time I get the phone back the refund time has elapsed.

Can I have profiles on the phone so when i let her use it, she can only access apps I want her to?

i have looked around and found app protectors, most are not flexible enough to suit my needs, but there is one called Protector which comes close. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.androidpassword.core&feature=search_result

It seems to have some bugs though, so I am talking to the developers to see if they can get rid of those. Overall it's the best protector app I've tried. Most of them are either confusing to configure/use or slow my phone to a crawl - or both.

Why oh why don't Google just have an option to protect buying from the market?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones