[PATCH] Froyo 8-1-2010 Market, Audio, 32M VM Heap

Last Updated:

1. drPheta

drPheta Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

IMO, the 8/1/2010 leak is pretty darned nice. I took Adrenalyne's patch and added an audio fix for streaming AAC issues, and increased the VM Heap size to 32MB.

Things to note.

Pros:
    1. Pandora and Slacker sound cleaner with this
    2. Market sees all of my downloads, no problem. I have been able to install all my Google apps, no problem (Sky, Earth, Maps, etc.)
    3. My Quadrant score 1281
    4. My Linpack score 38.392

Cons:
    1. Some people's m.youtube.com in the browser will not work. However, the YouTube app will stream videos fine.

No need to rename the .zip file. Just load it via clockwork.
    Or, you can extract the build.prop file and push it to /system/app (remember you need to be in recovery with /system mounted.)

Once uploaded, dial
    *#*#2432546#*#*
    To register your fingerprint in the market.

The attachment is too big for me to upload here. So, click
    [PATCH] Froyo 8-1-2010 Market, Audio, 32M VM Heap - xda-developers
    to download the file.

Advertisement
    adrynalyne likes this.
  2. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Well-Known Member

One caveat:

The mobile youtube site no longer will work.

drPheta likes this.
  3. drPheta

Hmmm, mine works. Can anyone else confirm this?

EDIT: double checked, and both the stock browser and dolphin HD stream m.youtube.com fine for me. Audio is pretty clear, too.

EDIT2: confirmed with multiple people that this will break your m.youtube.com.

4. Muerte_X

Muerte_X Well-Known Member

The first build.prop edit breaks the new m.youtube.com as well.

If you have your browser set to show the mobile version of sites, you'll be directed to the new version with HQ videos...this will not work.

If you have it set to not show the mobile version of web pages, you'll be directed to the old version, that does work, but the quality of these videos is pretty horrible. The full site works great though with full flash 10.1 :)

5. topaz330

topaz330 Well-Known Member

it dl's to 154kb is that correct?

6. drPheta

correct. It's just an updatd build.prop file.

7. Eris Lover

Eris Lover Well-Known Member

Can I add this build.props to adrynalynes second wave or is that unnecessary, only looking for best possible streaming audio quality?

8. drPheta

Unless Adrynalyne added in the audio fix, go for it. either way, you're not changing anything other than 3 things... two of which I know Adrynalyne put into his build.prop.

Eris Lover likes this.
  9. adrynalyne

Yeah I don't touch the audio. I let folks decide what they want to do with that. Some might find the disadvantages worse than the advantages.

Personally, I rather have better streaming audio, and don't care about mobile youtube.

Eris Lover likes this.
  10. rmk

rmk Well-Known Member Developer

How did you determine increasing the heap to 32MB was beneficial?

11. drPheta

I kept running linpack and qudrant on 24M, probably totalled 15 times throughout the day. Then I did the same on 32M. Not scientific, but on my phone 32M seemed consistently better (marginally).

12. rmk

rmk Well-Known Member Developer

Sorry I don't mean to sound like a troll but that's anecdotal at best. I have not seen a proper set of tests which concludes that increasing the heap is either beneficial or necessary.

If HTC has determined 24mb is sufficient for their ROM, it seems pointless for us to be changing it unless we can clearly prove there is a reason for doing so. And thus far, I have seen nothing to suggest it should be changed.

13. adrynalyne

24M is a generic standard. I doubt HTC even took a glance at it.

Even the Moto Droid uses 24M and has half the ram. The size determines how much virtual memory an app can use before it goes through the garbage collection process. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the prior would be better in the long run than working with it after garbage collection.

Just a small snippet from Android developers:

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/design/performance.html

14. drPheta

Of course it's anectdotal. I even stated it's not scientific. However, my linpack and quadrant scores changed (slightly) for the better with a 32M heap (all other things being equal.) By slightly, I'm talking 1-2% increase. That's not significant enough of a change to write home about.

But, I'm not losing performance in anyway, and what I have running on my phone is stable and fast.

Lastly, a quick google search results in other people trying to determine which is best.
    http://ryanolson.wordpress.com/2010...ory-per-vm-heap-can-effect-your-rom-cyanogen/

Still, even with all this it's anectdotal. But, it's enough to show me that the slight increase in performance (realized or not while running programs) is worth the change... and there haven't been any setbacks from that change thus far.

15. buckweet

buckweet Active Member

16. Hand76

Hand76 Guest