• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Patriot 64GB SSD not working properly

kevincott

Android Expert
Jul 12, 2011
Chicago, IL
My Patriot 64 GB is not working properly.

It is being 'seen' and under properties under hardware>types says disk drive, but ...

It does not show up under Win 7 Explorer. I have a 2nd unit that is still working as it should, the unseen Patriot was taken off a mirror raid to be used as a normal volume.

Any help?

edit: correction, under disk management says: dynamic and invalid.

My Patriot 64 GB is not working properly.

It is being 'seen' and under properties under hardware>types says disk drive, but ...

It does not show up under Win 7 Explorer. I have a 2nd unit that is still working as it should, the unseen Patriot was taken off a mirror raid to be used as a normal volume.

Any help?

edit: correction, under disk management says: dynamic and invalid.

So under disk management you can't do anything with it? Not showing unused space, partitions or anything?

Given the above, I'd suggest the SSD is most likely faulty.

Reactions: kevincott
Upvote 0
Try using partition magic or a similar program to boot from disk and then completely wipe the drive and reformat it.

Then boot back into Windows 7 and see what you get.

I can't wipe or format the SSD as it shows no space. The drive is seen but has no 'space'. It doesn't even say 0 GB, just nothing where the 'space' should be.

Upvote 0
I can't wipe or format the SSD as it shows no space. The drive is seen but has no 'space'. It doesn't even say 0 GB, just nothing where the 'space' should be.

Hmm I was hoping if you boot from a disk a tool like partition magic (outside of windows) then you could see it. But if you still don;t then yeah I'd call it dead.

Also they do have nice warranties on drives ... so if there is no physical damage contact them.

Upvote 0
Booting a different OS install is a good idea. Personally I'd move it to my Linux box and go from there. For those who don't have that option I suggest using a boot CD like Parted Magic or SystemRescueCD and use the tools on them to troubleshoot the drive. Partition Magic has been deprecated for a long time now, and I don't think that Symantec even sells it any more. I don't know why so many people recommend this obsolete and dead product so much.

You wrote "under disk management says: dynamic and invalid" which I presume is the Storage/Disk Management section of the Computer Management control panel for Windows 7. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Have you tried converting the Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk? Note: this is done on the left panel, not the larger right panel that shows file systems. This may be all you need to set things straight.

Another tack is to boot from one of the above Linux-based boot disks and run their utilities.

The thing I do if all else fails and there's not data that I want to save on that HD is to determine the Linux device name for the HD in question (something like /dev/sdb) and from a command prompt as root run `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd?' where "?" is the correct letter for the bad drive. When it's done (may take a while), reboot and try to write a fresh partition table onto the HD. If that works, boot from the original Windows 7 and see if you can create a new partition. If that works, format it and try putting files on it.

If it doesn't respond to anything, go to the manufacturer's website and see if they have a utility to test your particular drive. (Usually one utility covers all models.) IME the utility will give you a code if the drive is bad, and instructions about how to return it if it's still under warranty.

Reactions: kevincott
Upvote 0
Booting a different OS install is a good idea. Personally I'd move it to my Linux box and go from there. For those who don't have that option I suggest using a boot CD like Parted Magic or SystemRescueCD and use the tools on them to troubleshoot the drive. Partition Magic has been deprecated for a long time now, and I don't think that Symantec even sells it any more. I don't know why so many people recommend this obsolete and dead product so much.

You wrote "under disk management says: dynamic and invalid" which I presume is the Storage/Disk Management section of the Computer Management control panel for Windows 7. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Have you tried converting the Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk? Note: this is done on the left panel, not the larger right panel that shows file systems. This may be all you need to set things straight.

Another tack is to boot from one of the above Linux-based boot disks and run their utilities.

The thing I do if all else fails and there's not data that I want to save on that HD is to determine the Linux device name for the HD in question (something like /dev/sdb) and from a command prompt as root run `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd?' where "?" is the correct letter for the bad drive. When it's done (may take a while), reboot and try to write a fresh partition table onto the HD. If that works, boot from the original Windows 7 and see if you can create a new partition. If that works, format it and try putting files on it.

If it doesn't respond to anything, go to the manufacturer's website and see if they have a utility to test your particular drive. (Usually one utility covers all models.) IME the utility will give you a code if the drive is bad, and instructions about how to return it if it's still under warranty.

Yes, I tried going from dynamic to basic, formatting and everything else I could throw at Win7.

Booted into my Ubuntu partition and after an initial 'DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed: An operation is already pending' error, the drive seems to work.

I see the old data from back when it was in mirror setup, going to try to salvage the drive.

Upvote 0
Yes, I tried going from dynamic to basic, formatting and everything else I could throw at Win7.
Outstanding!

Booted into my Ubuntu partition and after an initial 'DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed: An operation is already pending' error, the drive seems to work.
That whole DBus thing meant that a pop-up notification died horribly. So it looks good for your drive.

I see the old data from back when it was in mirror setup, going to try to salvage the drive.
What happened to the other half of the mirror set?

I don't see any mention of how the RAID array was set up. The common ways are to use a RAID adapter card (best), use the motherboard software-assisted RAID (looks good to casual users, but a really bad choice), or use Windows to create the array in software (OK but not best). Most RAID systems want you to replaced the failed/missing drive.

Upvote 0
What happened to the other half of the mirror set?

I don't see any mention of how the RAID array was set up. The common ways are to use a RAID adapter card (best), use the motherboard software-assisted RAID (looks good to casual users, but a really bad choice), or use Windows to create the array in software (OK but not best). Most RAID systems want you to replaced the failed/missing drive.

It was a mirror setup controlled by the MB, the other half (64GB Patriot) is fine.

After about 2 hours last night using Ubuntu > Disk Utility I gave up. I can see the 64GB space, the data on it and access the data but ...

Any attempt to delete partitions & create new partitions, format back into NTFS or change file systems, change the drive name or anything else I tried gave me errors.

Only thing Disk Utility would do without errors was 'delete' the partition. When I would try to create a new partition or format > error. Eventually I would see the original partition and original data, which tells me the partition was never actually deleted.

Upvote 0
It was a mirror setup controlled by the MB, the other half (64GB Patriot) is fine.
I don't like motherboard software RAID because it's not portable, and it adds an unnecessary layer.

After about 2 hours last night using Ubuntu > Disk Utility I gave up. I can see the 64GB space, the data on it and access the data but ...

Any attempt to delete partitions & create new partitions, format back into NTFS or change file systems, change the drive name or anything else I tried gave me errors.

Only thing Disk Utility would do without errors was 'delete' the partition. When I would try to create a new partition or format > error. Eventually I would see the original partition and original data, which tells me the partition was never actually deleted.
Looks like it's time for `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd?' where "?" is the correct letter for the bad drive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones