Pattern lock + music controls?Support

Last Updated:

1. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't found a solid answer for this yet.

What I want is simple: music controls on the pattern lock screen.

I don't want Widgetlocker or another lock screen replacement, which have given me problems and don't seem to be reliable. I just want to be able to pause/play/skip from the pattern lock screen.

I am okay with binding physical buttons to this task if that's what it takes.

Is there a way to do this?

Advertisement
  2. landale

landale Well-Known Member

You can use the paid version of MixZing as long as you are okay using a different music program then stock, although MixZing is way better then the stock one anyway. It has a lock screen widget that appears basically over the pattern lock screen and you can just press the Unlock button above the widget to go to the pattern unlock screen. This is what I use and it works perfectly.

3. binary visions

Okay... So it adds an additional button press to unlock the device, correct?

Ugh. I'd rather just use the standard lock screen in that case. My goal is to not add an additional step to unlocking the device (or, conversely, have to unlock the device - add an additional step - to control music).

Seems silly. It's built into the slide-to-unlock screen, why would it not be built into the pattern unlock screen?

4. landale

landale Well-Known Member

With the MixZing lock widget you can at least skip and pause/play without unlocking your phone but yes you would need to add a press to get to the pattern lock screen to unlock but you can set the for the lock widget to only enable when music is playing so you won't have to deal with it otherwise.

5. shaunleger

shaunleger New Member

I totally agree. I am in the same boat. I have tried several media players. Most of them add a second "lock" screen (which completely bypasses pattern security when you press the home button).

I think the problem is the android implementation of the lock screen. What we need is to have the security pattern separate from the lock screen. I'm imagining a lock screen with music widget (and possibly other configurable widgets) and it says "slide to unlock". Then you would be asked for a security pattern or pin (preferably pin).

6. binary visions

I really don't want anything more than the single security lock screen. I just want simple music controls on it. Adding another "swipe" screen would be maddening to me.

I have somewhat gotten around this limitation by using Tasker, which is an amazing app. Since my music is primary listened to on my Bluetooth headset, I set up a Tasker rule to disable the keyguard entirely while the Bluetooth headset is paired with it.

Now my only frustration is that ANY hardware button wakes up the phone in this state, including the easy-to-depress-in-your-pocket camera button. Haven't figured out a good solution for that, yet, but it's a start.

You could use Tasker for a similar purpose. If you use a wired headset, it does introduce a security flaw, since you'd have to set up the task to disable the keyguard when a headset is plugged in - and thus any headset would disable the keyguard. You could rely on "security-by-obscurity" in that most people wouldn't know or even think that inserting a headset would disable the pattern lock. Bluetooth is more secure because the phone has to be unlocked in order to pair a new Bluetooth device, so someone would have to get ahold of my phone AND my bluetooth headset AND know that pairing them would defeat the keyguard.

7. shaunleger

shaunleger New Member

thanks for the info, very helpful. but i don't think i want to do that. i do agree with you now about just putting music controls on the pattern lock screen. or even better, if a media player could get the volume up/down keys to work as previous/next function without having to wake the screen, that would be best. this way all i would have to do is press a single button instead of waking the screen, then pressing a button.