• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Pause" in dial numbers

I have never had a cell phone with this feature but am familiar with a pause key for fax machines. It would be handy so that extensions, etc. could be programmed in your address book.

I have also asked if this can be added to Google Voice so I can set it to also ring my office (which has an extension).

Upvote 0
Nokia started it with P and W for pause and wait. But there is an app in the market which can intercept the disaler if you want and handle calling cards and pre-dialing for you. This way you can choose which way to make the call from your normal dialing list. I dont remember what its called - you can google for it - but if you really can't find it let me know and i'll have a search for you.

Upvote 0
There, found this on one of the forums:

"On the HTC Dream, you can insert a lower case "p" for pause or "w" for wait into a dialing string by using the dialer with the keyboard. Then you can create a new contact. If you use the telephone-style dialer, you can't insert the letters. If you try to create or edit a new contact directly, you can only insert capital P or W, which don't work."

This worked for me (on HTC Dream).

Upvote 0
i found this by messing about

click dialer
press the down key so the number bar goes orange
hold down the menu key and voila the number keyboard comes up and you can put in a pause by click the *#( button and click pause

you will notice it puts a "," there but it means you can do it from the dialer then when finished add the contact or dial it without having to add the contact 1st

Upvote 0
Hi Folks,

Looking for guidance in using Dial String modifiers - what works etc...

I have several conference calls that require pass codes and #'s to gain access to calls.

I understand ; = wait

I need some pause time, so I tried 202-123-4567,,,,,,;998877,,,,,# expecting 12 seconds of pause then prompt box to appear for my input of 998877 more pause then #. Seems the ,,,,,,, is not recognized and immediately prompt box appears.

Any thoughts on this?

TIA

Ren :thinking:

Upvote 0
I use the free android app "Pause Dialer" to allow me to insert pauses into phone numbers to automate dailing calling cards and conference call.

Blurb from Pause Dialer Lite - Android Apps and Tests - AndroidPIT

about the app:

Pause Dialer Lite allows you to create, save, and automatically dial phone numbers with pauses inserted.

Automate touch tone phone calls e.g. logging onto a conference call, navigating automated phone systems

No ads

Reactions: chgotina
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones