"Pause" in dial numbersSupport

Last Updated:

1. SalvoMaltese

SalvoMaltese Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

don't you know "pause" key? The key you use when dialing in offices, like xxxPyyy, where xxx is the public number and yyy is the internal number?

Where is that key on android?

Thx :)

Advertisement
  2. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

I have never had a cell phone with this feature but am familiar with a pause key for fax machines. It would be handy so that extensions, etc. could be programmed in your address book.

I have also asked if this can be added to Google Voice so I can set it to also ring my office (which has an extension).

3. SalvoMaltese

SalvoMaltese Member This Topic's Starter

I had it in every phone I had, the last was a samsung sgh-d500, and keeping pressed "*", it would turn into "P".

Obviously I tried it on my I7500, but it dowsn't work, neither with "*" nor with "#"...

4. cdmackay

cdmackay Well-Known Member

I note that when you are adding a new Contact, adding a phone number for them, the custom kbd that comes up has mostly numbers, but also a P and a W. Pressing P inserts a p into the dialled number string, which seems like would be "pause", no?

5. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

Nokia started it with P and W for pause and wait. But there is an app in the market which can intercept the disaler if you want and handle calling cards and pre-dialing for you. This way you can choose which way to make the call from your normal dialing list. I dont remember what its called - you can google for it - but if you really can't find it let me know and i'll have a search for you.

6. hondaguy

hondaguy Well-Known Member

If you cannot figure out how to add the letter p between the phone number and the extension then edit the number in outlook or in Google and sync to your phone

7. roa

roa Member

Instead of "p" you should use "," (comma) At least it works for me, cannot recall where did I get this info from...

8. antonb

antonb New Member

There, found this on one of the forums:

"On the HTC Dream, you can insert a lower case "p" for pause or "w" for wait into a dialing string by using the dialer with the keyboard. Then you can create a new contact. If you use the telephone-style dialer, you can't insert the letters. If you try to create or edit a new contact directly, you can only insert capital P or W, which don't work."

This worked for me (on HTC Dream).

9. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

i found this by messing about

click dialer
    press the down key so the number bar goes orange
    hold down the menu key and voila the number keyboard comes up and you can put in a pause by click the *#( button and click pause

you will notice it puts a "," there but it means you can do it from the dialer then when finished add the contact or dial it without having to add the contact 1st

10. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

11. Gizmo306

Gizmo306 Active Member

I am using the common mark "," for a while, it work every time.
    I get this from my locale forum. seems like Google define this.

12. wb3fsr

wb3fsr New Member

Hi Folks,

Looking for guidance in using Dial String modifiers - what works etc...

I have several conference calls that require pass codes and #'s to gain access to calls.

I understand ; = wait

I need some pause time, so I tried 202-123-4567,,,,,,;998877,,,,,# expecting 12 seconds of pause then prompt box to appear for my input of 998877 more pause then #. Seems the ,,,,,,, is not recognized and immediately prompt box appears.

Any thoughts on this?

TIA

Ren :confused:

13. jamesjack

jamesjack New Member

I use the free android app "Pause Dialer" to allow me to insert pauses into phone numbers to automate dailing calling cards and conference call.

Blurb from Pause Dialer Lite - Android Apps and Tests - AndroidPIT

about the app:

Pause Dialer Lite allows you to create, save, and automatically dial phone numbers with pauses inserted.

Automate touch tone phone calls e.g. logging onto a conference call, navigating automated phone systems

No ads

chgotina likes this.
  14. jimmad02

jimmad02 New Member

when entering phone number, use the P and M buttons on the upper right corner of the keyboard. With slide out keyboard, use the digital keyboard only.:D