Pay for Visual Voicemail?

Last Updated:

1. avhokie

avhokie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Do you seriously have to pay for Visual Voicemail on VZ? I just got the Fascinate and it looks like it. I'm coming from Sprint and the HTC Hero. It was a free option there. I thought it was feature built into Android?

Advertisement
  2. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

Google Voice is a great free alternative. Visual Voicemail is something Verizon has had for years on most of their devices. You can get the same (IMO better) feature using Google Voice.

burningembers likes this.
  3. hanano17

hanano17 Well-Known Member

I second the Google Voice for VM. There's a lot of other benefits with Google Voice as well. You can get a number to link to multiple phone lines and have them forwarded, you can screen calls, have certain calls sent straight to VM, use the Google number to dial out with or give out (if you don't want someone to have your real cell number), IM, etc etc.

4. eleazar

eleazar Well-Known Member

I had a similar reaction when I switched from the iPhone. It was very annoying. Since then, I have become accustomed to Google Voice. It's not as streamlined imo but it works really well and the transcription can prove invaluable when you're in a meeting and can't listen to a voicemail.

5. CP2

CP2 Member

I've never used Google Voice, but when I had my blackberry, I switched to using Youmail as my Voicemail, which was completely free and has its own Visual Voicemail app that works great.

6. avhokie

avhokie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks folks. With Youmail/Google Voice, I'd have to port my phone number over to them right? I have to look into that solution some more...

7. mumblin2myself

mumblin2myself Active Member

No reason to port your number (whatever that means). My phone is set up to use Google Voice as its voicemail inbox, my number didn't change (although I do use the secondary GV number as a local number and for conference calling). It's about the most painless experience I've ever had dramatically altering the functionality of a Verizon phone.

8. howdy

howdy Well-Known Member

google voice is the best.. you can buy a license or invite or whatever it is on Ebay for cheap. no monthly fees or anything, I've been happy with it.

9. mumblin2myself

mumblin2myself Active Member

Even better, Google Voice is a public beta now - no need to spend any money on it whatsoever.

10. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Google currently does not let you port your number to them, you set up a separate number through which calls can be funneled to and from your other phones (mobile, home, work, etc.).

I believe that one aspect of this is that since the Google number is not "in network" or part of your Family plan you have to use airtime minutes for call that might otherwise be free. This applies for both people calling you via your Google number and you calling out though your Google number or to check voice mail. If you have 'Friends and Family' or something like that where you can include the Google number among those listed then that can address this.

If you call someone direct rather than through the Google Voice app then that may also address the "in network" aspect but then you have the scenario of effectively having two mobile numbers that others may have to address, your 'direct' number and your Google number.

Since I have been giving my cell number to clients, business associates and friends for some years it was not real practical for me to implement a new number. In addition, we typically have a large number of minutes each month that are currently in-network or within plan, with Google Voice we might have to bump up to a higher airtime Family Plan to cover those. As a result, I didn't see Google Voice as a good option for me and chose to pay for Visual Voicemail. So far have been quite happy with it, but your situation may differ.

11. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

I think there is confusion here. Download the Google Voice app so you can check voicemail without using minutes. The GV app also let's you see a transcript of voicemails...and it let's you send and receive free texts.

You can have your normal (non GV) number go to Google's voicemail.

12. ecpolo521

ecpolo521 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the voicemail speed dial to google voice? I can't seem to change it.

13. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

I haven't tested this (don't really use GV yet, I just have it set up) but have you tried going to Phone Settings > Call settings > Voicemail service and changing it to Google Voice?

14. ecpolo521

ecpolo521 Well-Known Member

Thats setup. The voicemail icon and speed dial still goes to VZW.

15. Gibbyson

Gibbyson Well-Known Member

The icon i don't have an answer for, but speed dial you are going to have to make a new one, or change the current one to map to the new google voice number that you got when you set it up.

16. Wbman

Wbman Member

Former Verizon visual voice mail user and now a satisfied Google voice user! Very simple to use: Just follow instructions at Google voice.

I like that you can get your VM from any computer too -- even my iPad.

17. saps

saps Well-Known Member

GV certainly seems to be the way to go for almost everyone; slam dunk if you have F&F

18. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated Well-Known Member

I'm using Youmail on my Droid-X.

It intercepts calles when going to voicemail, Greets the user using their contact information
    "hello Crystal, Justin is not available right now" etc. Can access it from any computer or your phone with their visual voicemail app etc.

I'm curious if GV does all of those things or if there is really any incentive for me to switch.

I don't think the transcripting is free with youmail, but I do like the custom greetings.

19. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Member

For the moment, I'm satisfied with "regular" voicemail. How do I remove the annoying, and very large, button inviting me to subscribe to Visual Voicemail?

20. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

You can only remove it after rooting. Until then the stock apps can't be removed.