[PC APP] no_sense v1.2 - Remove Sense UI & Enable JIT

Last Updated:

1. poor_red_neck

poor_red_neck Active Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 4, 2009
    So... I don't know how to make ROMs, or update.zips.... but I can make batch files!! HAHA
    Basically, all this does is help noobies out by doing everything for you.
    This is intended for use with FreshToast, but should work with any ROM really (JIT functionality depends on if the ROM supports it and editing the build.prop file, read below)
    What it does
    JIT does NOT like Sense UI. You basically can't use Sense UI with JIT... so this will remove Sense UI then enable JIT.
    You can read about JIT here: Just-in-time compilation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This will remove all HTC Widgets, Rosie, and any other useless SenseUI applications. (as they don't work with other launchers) and push over the Helix Launcher. Also, this will enable JIT (there is an option to enable or not to, as well as automated enable/disable JIT)
    I have also included the HTC Ringtone trimmer apk - its honestly the best ringtone trimmer I've used, and works great, alot of devs take it out. I dont know why.
    Also Ive included the genie news and weather widget.

I get no force closes with this method from removing sense, but as with most roms with JIT enabled, there is the occasional freeze.

First thing is something some of you may already have done. This will enable adb to be run in the DOS command line from anywhere, not just your android tools folder.

Right click on "My Computer"
    Click Properties
    Click the advanced tab
    Click "Environment Variables"
    In the top window click "PATH"
    Click "Edit"
    Change the "Variable Value" to your android SDK tools folder (Mine is C:\Android\tools)

Now unzip the no_sense folder anywhere you want. Desktop will do.

Connect your phone via USB and make sure you DO NOT have the phone in disk mode, select "Charge Only" and ensure the phone has USB-Debugging on (should be by default)

Double click on "no_sense.bat" and follow the prompts.

The first time you enable JIT it will create a backup of your old files, and can be restored/disabled later.

NOTICE You MUST change your home screen wall paper to a non-htc wallpaper before enabling JIT. If not, your phone will freeze on boot. Any photo will do, as long as it is not a HTC wallpaper.

I'm looking in to how to prevent this from happening. If you accidentally booted without changing, just nandroid back and do it again. After stripping the ROM of Sense UI, and starting Helix, change your wallpaper, THEN enable JIT.

The build.prop file is ROM SPECIFIC!!

The script has the build.prop for FRESHTOAST 1.1
    I'm working on getting multiple build.prop's from other ROMs so you will only have to make a simple menu selection.
    If you are using a different ROM do the following:
    Code (Text):
    2. adb remount
    3. adb pull /system/build.prop C:/system.prop_jit
    edit the file in WORDPAD (not notepad) and save as build.prop_jit in the "Unicode Text Format"
    Go to the very last line of the file, and add the following line:
    Code (Text):
    1. dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit
    Save the file as build.prop to the location you extracted the zip to (no_sense.zip) and overwrite the old one.
    The rest remains the same.

Special thanks to regaw_leinad for the help with the script. THANK YOU!! also thanks to Jus10o for helping me with the force closes I was getting after removing sense. Thanks also to "gunnyman" for the hosting of the file!

Currently v1.2

Download Here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6718465/no_sense_with_apks.zip 9.40MB (Includes all the backed up Rosie APKs)
    Without APKs: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6718465/no_sense.zip 1.75MB

Attached Files:

• sn1.JPG
      File size:
      32.8 KB
    • sn2.JPG
      File size:
      38.5 KB

2. poor_red_neck

poor_red_neck Active Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 4, 2009
    If any body has any recomendations of some commonly/frequently used commands you do in ADB that you would like to be automated, please let me know and I'll update the "app" and have it do more things.

DFRESH Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    nothing new to me....some people been doing that in the XDA forums for quite sometime..

but props to bring it here for some of the people that mind find it easier...