PC Geek looking for an android smartphone

Last Updated:

1. geekyquestioner

geekyquestioner Member This Topic's Starter

I am a Windows nerd.

What I will be using the phone for:
    -> Calendering, Contact Management, Outlook 2010 syncing, light email and texting, and few phone calls.
    -> Printing to networked printer (wlan)
    -> SSH to home computer when I am away. (maybe VPN as well).
    -> managing ms office docs, pdfs and printing them to a networked printer (wlan)
    -> Change the device's mac address to connect to wifi network.
    -> very little "internet browsing."
    -> t-mobile
    -> some type of "file management" / "file browsing" is a must!
    -> keepassdroid + browsing banking sites

What I won't use the phone for
    -> I won't buy a data plan (I am always near a wifi network).
    -> games

other preferences / things to note:
    -> this will be my first smartphone
    -> the phone should be extremely "hackable" and completely customizable.
    -> <$400 (I don't mind buying a used phone)
    -> physical keyboard is optional, I don't care if I have it or not.
    -> I've installed linux before (ubuntu, fedora, debian, etc.)
    -> I like being able to image and backup a device / hard drive, I am hoping I can do something like that with the phone before I start adding apps and messing it up.

What do you suggest? N1? something else from HTC?

Advertisement
  2. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

if you don't want to pay much go with sprint Epic service epic phones epic etc
    i saved 200$! from switching from atnt to sprint and got better phones but if your staying with t mobile that's what you want to do do it i recommend nexus one ,behold 2 or if you want a key bored a cliq or just go to a store there are great at helping i do believe.
    Over caffeinated -Vulcan
    i switched from a hd2 to a evo i like android better than WM

3. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

Ill help you get roms if you want to root and i recommend adw launcher launcher pro or crazy home if you want to customize

4. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the data plan required for all smartphones and most android phones?

5. geekyquestioner

Not AFAIK.
    I have a friend who uses his phone without a plan.
    The thing is that I don't want to pay $25 every month just so I can have internet. 98% of the day, I'm near a wifi network.
    I plan on using my android phone productively. I don't care about being able to watch videos or play games at amazing speeds.
    I care more about features like calendaring, email, task lists, outlook syncing, texting, office apps, file browsing, pdf viewing, ebook reading, flash cards apps, ssh, full control over the phone, minimalist UI, good backup, keepassdroid, visiting banking websites, printing over a wlan, etc.

6. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

most but its CHEAP CHEAP on sprint but its 30usd per month for a android phone on t mobile

7. penano

penano Member

Hi!!!...If I were you I would try to look for an HTC Desire ...I think that relation price/quality is the best for the Desire...I've been using it and it flyies...

8. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

sounds like you want the nokia n900 :)

if you're going android, pretty much every mid-high end phone is the same in regards to your listed features

9. geekyquestioner

I'm thinking about buying this HTC Wildfire here: link
    I like this phone because it should fit my relatively low-power needs and it comes with a great price.

I'm in the USA and will be using T-Mobile.
    Just to confirm...I should be able to use it on their network? Also, if I decide to get a data plan, will I be able to use T-Mobile's 3G network?

The good thing is that android 2.2 should be rolling out for this android 2.1 phone.
    I plan to use this phone for approx. 1 year before I sell it off on ebay.

However, I like to have the latest OS running and was wondering how easy it is to root this device and to install android 3 when it comes out? I don't think that htc will release 3.0 for this device, but I could be wrong?

*sorry, complete smartphone newb here.

10. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Only the subsidized handsets 'require' the data plan. However, if you don't have any data plan, you better be darn sure you have 3G data completely disabled or they will sock you for pay-as-go data. Your bill will be somewhere between $ouch and $WTF?

11. lunatic59

The HTC Wildfire is a little on the smallish side.

"...powered by the Qualcomm MSM7225 processor running at 525MHz. Spec-wise HTC's Sense UI running a 3.2-inch QVGA touchscreen..."

Could feel a little sluggish with the Sense UI overlay and a QVGA screen might be a bit restrictive for an Android phone. If you plan on rooting, and installing vanilla Android no need to wait for the updates from HTC, just be aware that you void the warranty by doing so.

12. geekyquestioner

Is there any way for me to image the disk on the android before hacking/rooting it? That way I can revert back to factory defaults even if I somehow mess up the rooting...

13. lunatic59

How to hard reset the HTC Wildfire - Know Your Cell

However once rooted, you would have to "unroot" if possible. I wasn't able to find specific information about the Wildfire, perhaps because it's too new. A search for unrooting the desire will find a good number of results. My phone is not rooted and frankly, with 2.2 rooting isn't all that necessary but in case you do, it's always at your own risk.

14. geekyquestioner

I'm thinking that this may mean that I have to go with a Nexus One because in the long run it may be better supported. I hope to buy a used Nexus One for ~$400 and use it for 1.5 years and then sell it off.
    Anyone looking to sell a Nexus One without significant scratches on the screen for $400?

15. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Yes, make sure you disable Mobile Network. Android does a lot of data access, especially in the background, even when your not using it. It will really add up fast. You won't be able to send or receive MMS messages but that may not be a big deal for you, depending on how often you send them.

16. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

some networks have separate apn's for mms and internet

17. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

The Outlook syncing is likely to be entirely separate from the phone itself. HTC, IIRC, has a sync app, but most Android devices will require that you get your own Outlook sync solution. Definitely read up on the options (discussed quite a bit everywhere).

18. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

Show me one major provider that will let you activate a smartphone w/o a data plan. I would LOVE to be wrong. I also generally sue my phone near WiFi areas, and would love to save $30 a month.

19. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

Don't know where you are at, but in the Seattle are alone, I am seeing many sub $400 used Nexus 1's on craigslist.

20. geekyquestioner

I thought T-Mobile was rather liberal in this area...am I wrong?
    If I buy an unlocked phone, like a Nexus One and call T-mobile and tell them to block all data on my Even More Plus Plan, then I don't think I will be charged...or I could just lie and tell them that I don't have a Nexus One and it's just a dumbphone (or do they know what kind of phone it is from the IMEI?)?
    *Sorry, cellphone newb.