• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help pc internet mode via usb?

So it does work..I figured there would some big pop up saying im tethering from phone but nothing lol. As long as you have the drivers installed it works quite flawlessly.

Anyways I did a speedtest for kicks

My captivate on the USB cable PC INTERNET
Down- 1.26
Up- 0.21

My works network (slow as hell)
Down- 1.36
up- 0.98

Hey its no HOT SPOT but ill use the USB cable over nothing

Upvote 0
IF you can get Kies to load, tethering is still offered in it, the providers are the blame for the option being taken away, install kies in your laptop, good luck if you are running windowz 7 as I have not got it to go once. XP service pack 3 works pretty well, minus the APPS icon on the dock that tells me that it is not yet available in the U.S. I finally got this to work by wiping everything from priors installed, I did NOT download drivers from anywhere as I think this was a big part of all past problems. After it was all installed, set phone usb mode to kies, plugged into PC, it downloaded the drivers automatically, and worked great. Only ERROR I got was from checking for a firmware update, although I had already gotten my OTA.

Reactions: boulder
Upvote 0
You may try using the "eject" botton that pops up as you mouse over the phone icon in the right corner. After you disconnect close Kies. Then try plugging your phone in and let your phone launch Kies. Also check the options in the left corner and make sure the option to have the phone launch kies is enabled. Hope some of this helps.:)

BTW are you running version 1.5.3?

Upvote 0
not sure what happened, it couldn't connect to the phone any more. When I plug in phone after reboot my laptop, the connection will start Kies, but after that it stays "Connecting the device... please wait" stage.
I will keep playing this to see if I can find a solution. Is there a way to downgrade to the old firmware if I can't find a way?
And yes, I have 1.5.3.10083_66 version.

You may try using the "eject" botton that pops up as you mouse over the phone icon in the right corner. After you disconnect close Kies. Then try plugging your phone in and let your phone launch Kies. Also check the options in the left corner and make sure the option to have the phone launch kies is enabled. Hope some of this helps.:)

BTW are you running version 1.5.3?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones