PC Mag- Apple's Droid X 'Death Grip' Claim: Bogus

Last Updated:

1. mweiland

mweiland Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    jroc, chrlswltrs, Clittzen and 2 others like this.
  2. xrussx

xrussx Well-Known Member

Love it!

3. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

Of course it's bogus...

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I was just about to post this same thing when I noticed this one. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew that Apple is just trying to cover their own asses by making their opposition look bad, instead of addressing the matter at hand. Kind of like politicians. Scumbags.

5. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

I hope Verizon files a class action lawsuit against apple or ATT whomever released this. Its slander

6. butthead007

butthead007 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post. I saw this somewhere else, but the more people who read it will make the world a better place.

7. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

Apple will eventually get what they deserve.
    What goes around, comes around.
    I hope Verizon and Motorola goes after Apple for slander.
    What's that I hear?
    That's the sound of Motorola & VZ ceos laughing at the Apple Droid X video.

8. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Well-Known Member

Apple does this all the time. And they have gotten away with it year after year after year. (ok yes our product is broke, but so is everyone elses. be happy with what you have) It's B.S.

Motorola should file suit against apple.

9. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior Well-Known Member

Apple (Steve Jobs especially) is an elitist, self righteous, gestapo that only cares about making sure everyone has their product and that creativity is non-existent. EVERYONE must have the same phone with the same software and the same apps. They tried to sue jailbreakers for gods sake!! I like Android because its all about you, customize it how you want. There are MANY different android handsets not just 1 and the apps are all lenient no person behind the curtain only putting in what they think is appropriate and going to make them the most $$.. I really hope karma kicks them in the nuggets.

10. jdk33

jdk33 Well-Known Member

I posted that link on my facebook earlier. The comments from the Apple fanboys on that article are priceless. Fuggin mindless idiots.

11. Ninja Monkey

Ninja Monkey Well-Known Member

I love my MacBook Pro i5 but Jobs is a douche. I really think he's going to hurt Apple in the long run. My wife and I are getting a Droid X because we thought the Apple press conference was total BS. Jobs was such a prick and pretty much told you to take the iPhone 4 or go fish. Unacceptable!

He really should remove his last rib so he can blow himself. What am I thinking, he's probably already had the surgery done. No one else is good enough to blow him.

12. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Apple is just getting left behind and rather than inovating anymore they just try to slander everyone else.

13. Steady_Mobbin831

Steady_Mobbin831 Active Member

Lol apple gettin all salty

14. xander66

xander66 Well-Known Member

It is just outrageous how they are trying to blame others instead of taking responsibility. Didn't steve learn anything in kindergarten? I've tried many times to get my x to lose signal by covering the WHOLE phone and it just won't.

15. darkbob

darkbob Active Member

who takes a call using a death grip anyway, iphoners i guess lol. i use the thumb on one side middle and ring fingers on the other and index on the back, oh yeah with a pinky up and my reception went up.

16. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

I was in a GNC Store at the mall, employee was holding an iphone.
    I asked him what phone he had, he told me it was a 3gs... but he was extremely eager to get the iPhone 4.
    I asked why so eager to get a device that has a proven design flaw referring to the antenna band on the left on the phone.
    His response and I quote him,
    "What?!!! Just Don't hold it with your left hand"
    I can't believe how brainwashed Apple has got some people.
    I don't even want to know what people like him think after they see Apple's Droid X antenna video.
    Its disgusting knowing that Apple bashes another company when that company has a superior product...with a superior design...
    A device that does NOT have antenna or reception deathgrip issues.
    At this point, I expect nothing but from Steve Jobs and camp...

I look forward to a response from Motorola AND Verizon in regards to Apple's hoax video.

17. Clittzen

Clittzen Well-Known Member

Yayyy, finally someone squished the Apple. :D

I tested my X on this I would jump from 91 - 97 but nothing really significant.

18. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I needed a good laugh, i didn't think apples brainwashing was really THAT effective, but somehow i am still always amazed by how weak minded and gullable most people are

19. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

20. xdroid

xdroid Well-Known Member

I found the signal strength indicator on the DX (it's under settings>status>signal strength) and did my own tests again. At my desk (which has some bad reception issues) the signal goes from -93 to -102 when I use a 2-handed "deathgrip" covering the top and bottom with each of my hands.

21. thehaggis

thehaggis Active Member

I got the exact same results as PCmag, with my Droid X, and as pointed out, covering up the antennas isn't the issue.

"The iPhone 4 antenna’s feed point, located at the plastic strip separating the metal of the antenna, can be bridged by a human finger, which changes the capacitance of the antenna, causing an impedance mismatch that reduces the signal, which is why the problem affecting Apple’s external antenna does not affect the other phones listed on Apple’s comparison page.

“Any time you touch the feed point, it’s kind of like squeezing the jugular vein on your neck, like the ‘Vulcan hold’ from Star Trek,” said Banos. “Apple says all phones have this problem — yeah, they have that problem after you fix the problem with touching the antenna.”

It's just Apple trying to muddy the information.

22. jbass350z

jbass350z Well-Known Member

F-k apple

23. xdroid

xdroid Well-Known Member

Absolutely
    Perplexed by
    People who
    Like their phones to have good
    rEception

24. awells527

awells527 Well-Known Member

I came across this video when going through my RSS subscriptions. I tried the same grip while watching the movie on my DX. The signal remained unaffected. I chuckled to myself and moved on to the next article.

25. kennethpm

kennethpm Active Member

I was in the Apple store in NYC yesterday, and we held them with the 'death grip' that supposedly makes the signal bars go down and down. Nothing happened to the signal indicator.

I'm assuming the new 4.01 software upgrade just makes the phone show total bars no matter what the real reception is!

Or they have an at&t antenna in the store (more likely).

More ways in which Apple totally lies to it's customers and the public....

One of the magazines tested the Droid X and tried to get the signal to attenuate by holding it in different 'death grips', yet nothing happened at all!