PC maintenance - How to keep your computer fresh?

1. Sak01

Sak01 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if I could get some tips on how to keep my PCs running as speedily (or close to) as they were when I first got them.

I know there are a lot of pros around here with pro solutions for keeping their machines in good nick, but could you guys offer some practical tips for the average user?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Assuming Windows:

Regular malware scans, regular registry scans, regularly remove applications you installed for just for one job / unused applications.

Disable start up items and services not used.

If you use your local disk as data storage and move files around a lot, regular defrags too.

I also recommend a full rebuild of a system annually, although I never do this myself as I am lazy. Since I spend all day fixing PC's, I tend to neglect my own systems somewhat
    Sak01 likes this.
  3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

I'll go for a year to a year and a half neglecting my computer while making backups of the most important items/files as I go. After that, I do a complete wipe and start from scratch. If I am too lazy to do that, I'll use CCleaner every 6 months or so to clean out the registry. As SUroot said, I always have unnecessary start up items disabled; they will run if they are needed.
  4. seanpaul

seanpaul New Member

yea my pc needs a good cleaning!