PC maintenance - How to keep your computer fresh?

1. Sak01

Sak01 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if I could get some tips on how to keep my PCs running as speedily (or close to) as they were when I first got them.

I know there are a lot of pros around here with pro solutions for keeping their machines in good nick, but could you guys offer some practical tips for the average user?

Advertisement
    :
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Assuming Windows:

Regular malware scans, regular registry scans, regularly remove applications you installed for just for one job / unused applications.

Disable start up items and services not used.

If you use your local disk as data storage and move files around a lot, regular defrags too.

I also recommend a full rebuild of a system annually, although I never do this myself as I am lazy. Since I spend all day fixing PC's, I tend to neglect my own systems somewhat
    Sak01 likes this.
  3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

I'll go for a year to a year and a half neglecting my computer while making backups of the most important items/files as I go. After that, I do a complete wipe and start from scratch. If I am too lazy to do that, I'll use CCleaner every 6 months or so to clean out the registry. As SUroot said, I always have unnecessary start up items disabled; they will run if they are needed.
  4. seanpaul

seanpaul New Member

yea my pc needs a good cleaning!