• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PC Only Mode?

Manetic09

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
First things first, my Bionic is Rooted at ICS 4.0.4. Was in the store the other night and saw a Straight Talk 4g LTE Sim activation kit thingy. Basically if you're unfamiliar with this what it does is utilizes your current phone (bionic), current service towers (verizon), unlimited everything for 45 bucks a month. Cant beat that right? Well the guy told me my phone was compatible with the service and so did their website. The droid bionic is "said" to be CDMA Dual band for voice call and Only uses the Sim for LTE Data. What i have read so far is this is untrue and that the phone is actually capable of being a "world" phone which would allow me to use any sim. After activation of the sim card and the 30 day service entry. I was given a new phone number and told to reboot phone and make a call. Upon doing so, my phone immediately prompted on startup that the Sim is from an unknown source. Again, instructed this is completely normal. When trying to make a call it tells me Outgoing calls restricted by FDN. Whatever that means.. In my status menu in settings i am shown "NO SERVICE". I found a thread that basically walks you through the steps to achieve what i want. "http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/545743-droid-bionic-can-do-cmda-4lte-gsm-hspa-image-intensive.html" BUT. After installing Radiocomm. My phone is not being picked up. In step 2. After it comes up, switch to FTM Common1 tab and wait for the phone to enumerate purple.. / My phone does nothing. So after the frustration.. I am wondering. Is there any other way around this. What am i doing wrong. I am unable to find PC only mode. I've tried USB Debugging. Not working either. Only mode i am capable of selecting is Mass storage. Not sure if this option had been removed after ICS. Any way around this? Any particular file i can flash with bootstrap? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• Radiocomm image.jpg
    Radiocomm image.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 129
Issue resolved! Mostly... Turns out if i choose Media Device (MTP) as well as USB Debugging enabled, the computer will pick up the phone. I was able to change the nvm, edit the build.prop and change a couple apk's. Selecting a WCDMA-preferred network in *#*#info#*#*. After these changes took effect and several reboots later, i now am ported into the AT&T Straight Talk Network with my Verizon Motorola Droid Bionic! There is one catch though, i have edited the APN for data and i am only able to achieve 3g connection. I know darn well i am in a 4g area as i have 2 other phones connected to 4g with 25mbps download speed. Any suggestions on this issue? Also, the very reason i did this was because the activation package clearly states 4g lte support.

Upvote 0
There is one catch though, i have edited the APN for data and i am only able to achieve 3g connection. I know darn well i am in a 4g area as i have 2 other phones connected to 4g with 25mbps download speed. Any suggestions on this issue? Also, the very reason i did this was because the activation package clearly states 4g lte support.

AT&T uses a different band for LTE than Verizon does. The Bionic has only 700 MHz band 13, which is a band that's not used by AT&T. I'm not sure about this, but you may be able to get HSPA+, which AT&T calls 4G, but I'm not sure what the Bionic status bar will show - it may still say 3G though it's connecting to HSPA+.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones