PC Screen Comparison:DX vs IP4 vs DI vs HTC Evo

Last Updated:

1. doctajay

doctajay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Check it out here: Is The iPhone 4's LCD the Best? | PCMag.com

Overall they said the iPhone won, but if you read through the article, it actually seems like the Droid X is better if you take into account a preferable screen size. Summary:

1. Brightness: The ip4 scored 455 and the DX scored 349. So the iphone is a clear winner here, but to be honest I prefer a larger screen over a brighter screen, especially when the margin is as close as this

2. Contrast: The ip4 scored 1097 and the DX scored 1071. Basically a negligible difference in contrast comparison. Of course the Droid Incredible blew them out out the water so much so that they had to put it on a different chart. It scored 39, 373 for contrast!

3. Color Depth: In terms of the amount of colors that can be displayed, both the ip4 and the droid x have a 24-bit display, so they are equal. Where the Droid X got docked (and this is really an Android/Coloriris issue) is that the actual photo gallery in stock android can only display color at 16 bit, so you don't get the full colors. Once we get a new gallery application, they will both be equal in this. But to be honest, I call this a draw, since all it takes is getting a new program, not changing the screen

4. Color Accuracy: This is the most important, and its where the Droid X excels. Out of all 4 phones tested, the Droid X was the most accurate in displaying the colors that the original authors of the image or video were trying to convey. The scores (with lower being better, and negative being undersaturated and positive being oversaturated) were:
    Droid X: -6%
    HTC Evo: -10%
    Apple Iphone4: -36%
    Droid inscredible: -37%

As you can see the iphone 4 display is not very accurate in displaying color and is overall quite UNDERsaturated. While the Droid X is most accurate in displaying color, albiet, a little on the undersaturated side. You can see how the droid inscredible is quite INACCURATE in color display and is quite OVERsaturated.

Taking all this into account, and realizing that the only thing that the Droid X really got dinged on in comparison to the iphone 4 was its screen brightness, which really wasn't all that different from the ip4. So yeah, i think I will be quite happy on july 15.

Advertisement
    Tranzor_Z likes this.
  2. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Awesome comparison. I like how accurate the X is in colors.

3. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

Show engadget this article.......

4. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Apple over saturates the display and the photos the camera takes. Why? To the unsuspecting viewer the colors pop more therefore the display looks better. Apple trickery to fool the sheep.

5. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

Droid X screen is second only to the iphone 4 screen nice.

6. majorcovert

majorcovert Well-Known Member

That's a really good comparison. Good find. I'm still really interested in how accurate the Super AMOLED on the Fascinate is. Being a graphic designer I care more for true color versus the oversaturated "wow" color of the AMOLED. From what I've seen of the Galaxy in video review it looks like it probably is going to be oversaturated as well.

Heck the Droid X is only -2% worse than my TN display I'm working on now.

7. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

yes but to be fair, i think the fascinate will take that 2nd spot when it is reviewed. so dont be surprised:eek:

8. kishin14

kishin14 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link it was very informative. However, your numbers are a little off. The droid x scored 455 for brightness versus the iphone's 536. The 349 was for the Evo. Also, in terms of color accuracy the incredible is +36%.

9. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Deleted.

10. doctajay

doctajay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I agree. Super amoled increases the brightness, so it will surpass the dx probably, changes to a 24bit display, so it will equal the DX, still beats everyone else in contrast, but it loses still in color accuracy because I am sure that it will oversaturate like the droid incredible.

Then you have to take into account overall build quality, reception, updates issues, call strength, etc. But no doubt, the super-amoled will be better. One thing that I have been noticing in reviews of the galaxy s however is that due to the pentile matrix screen, reading small text on the screen is quite bad. We shall see I guess.

11. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Nice article.

I been telling folks the "it' phones right know will be: Samsung's, the X and iPhone 4. And I was just basing that off the cpu/gpu...lol

12. Angus

Angus Member

Is The iPhone 4's LCD the Best? | PCMag.com
    "Overall they said the iPhone won, but if you read through the article, it actually seems like the Droid X is better if you take into account a preferable screen size."

Add to the above that this same PCMag article also concluded that the Droid X came in second only just slightly behind the iPhone. Now imagine if the Droid X were to have a state of the art image sensor and a high quality lense, such as the Nokia n8 12 MP's Carl Zeiss lense.... Boy, that Moto Droid's camera picture quality would just blow away current competition, including the iPhone 4, Evo, Droid Intelligible, or any other elite smartphone camera.

Motorola, are you listening.

13. Angus

Angus Member

P.S.: Other photographers dinged the iPhone 4 for being highly oversaturated, and the Droid Incredible for being somewhat undersaturated. But, perhaps that was what you really meant to say instead of your saying that the iPhone 4 was highly "undersaturated", and the Incredible slightly "oversaturated. Regardless, nice comparison article on iPhone 4 and Droid X picture quality.

14. Angus

Angus Member

I stand corrected in the above Angus comment where I state that you incorrectly write that the iPhone is "UNDERsaturated", while the Droid Incredible is "OVERsaturated". Upon re-reading the original article, the PCMag blog Screen Comparison article did indeed find and state that the iPhone's colors are undersaturated, and the Droid Incredible's oversaturated. My apologies. Yet, quite a few photographers comment on various blog sites that the iPhone 4's pictures are highly 'oversaturated' to the point that colors may bleed into one another, when the pictures are blown up; and, therefore, colors are inaccurate. :confused:
    Interesting. But, bottom line, almost everyone seems to agree that the Droid X's picture color quality is the most accurate of all the smartphone cameras.