PC Sync, PDF, Word - Question before purchase. Please HELP, THANKS!Support

Last Updated:

1. LukiSpuki

LukiSpuki Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys,

I finally decided to move to G1, it toon my old BB to start dying on me.

I have couple of question that I need help with from experienced users, if you could help me, i would really appreciate it.
    Is there an option for G1 to sync with my Msf. Office? i hate to enter all contact, calendar etc manually.

In addition, my main reason why I didn't move to G1 from day 1 was the 'no business functionality,' which came out of inability to view/edit Word and PDF files. I found a program that helps with VIEW'ing PDF/Word files (not through market). Did anyone hear of it? here are the links to article and developer's website:
    http://www.android-portal.com/2008/11/07/multireader-free-word-viewer-pdf-reader-for-android/
    http://bsegonnes.free.fr/multireader/en_multireader.html
    What do you think of this pdf/word viewer?
    Unless G1 can handle pdf/word on its own. Can it?

I hope you can help me, as I really need a new phone - and G1 seems to be the best current option from T-Mobile.

Thanks!
    Luki

Advertisement
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

3. LukiSpuki

I was trying to avoid importing all my contact to google, it's a bit of a 'privacy' issue if you know what I mean. BB had it worked out years ago with a simple 'sync' option, which allowed me to keep everything updated on daily basis.

Quick question about google apps, will it save as *.doc etc. (msf office) files? It's a pain to have to convert stuff all the time when you want to work on PC (off line). I have not used google apps yet so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks for help!
    Luki

4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

When you export your contacts from outlook ... export to a CSV format file ... this is a txt file with one contact per line with each field separtated by commas....

You edit this file with any txt editor or Excel ... simpling delete the contacts that you dont want to import into Gmail and save the file again as txt or from excel as a csv, comma delimited file ...

Now you have just the contacts you want ...

BTW: I am not sure if you understand ... with the G1 you contacts, mail, and calendar can be automatically updated ... between the PC internet gmail and you phone .... and those updates are/can be virtually intantaneous ....

5. twilightwolf90

twilightwolf90 New Member

Google has a program that autosyncs with Outlook. I have not looked into it personally, but it should work just fine. When it syncs to Google Calendar, it syncs later with your phone.

Outlook can create many calendars. You could create a "share" calendar to share with your phone. Evolution users (Linux mostly) can automatically sync with Google Calendar without another program.

6. LukiSpuki

Thanks Twilightwolf