• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PC wont recognize HTC Desire when it's plugged into USB help appreciated

BlackDawn12

Lurker
Feb 27, 2012
Hello there!

So here's the deal, my sister and I both have HTC Desires and hers plugs into the computer just fine and shows right up. Mine did for a time until here recently and it just decided to stop recognizing it. There's not a notification anywhere phone or pc side that says anything is connected. In fact it wont even charge from the PC. However, when the phone is off it charges just fine, and the phone charges from all other outputs. It just wont prompt me at all though when I plug it into the computer and the phone is on. Browsing through the running apps I've noticed the only variable between my sister's phone and mine is that the application "PC Synchronization" is not running on mine but it is on my sisters. While I don't want to synchronize I just want to mount it as a disk drive it won't even recognize it. How do I get this app to run as it hasn't at all? Also, I've tried removing entirely, and switching sd cards between the two phones and it doesn't make a difference. Please help!

Welcome to the forums!

PC Synchronization needs to be running on your phone.

It won't force synchronization, they just call it that because they make HTC Sync for your PC.

It's absolutely required in order for the USB external storage trick to work at all.

Go into settings, Connect to PC, click on Ask me so it will start and ask when plugged in. Plus you can always pull down the notification bar and get the USB charging icon and tap that to change connects - if PC Synchronization is running on the phone.

Why is it not? Are you using a task killer? If so, please don't, automatic task killers cause problems and you don't need it.

Is your SD card damaged? Readable? Under settings, SD & phone storage, does it show that it's mounted? Is there an option to mount it (shouldn't be, should already be mounted)? Try browsing it with EStrongs File Explorer on your phone.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
Are you rooted? If so, re-flash your kernel.

If not, try yanking the battery out for at least 10 seconds...maybe up to a minute. Turn it on and try again. If you still have a problem and this is something you want to fix, I suggest doing a factory reset after backing up your important stuff. If that still doesn't fix it, I'd suggest you try flashing the RUU.

There is a possibility that the USB port is bad, but it's not likely.

If it's not that important to you, I suggest you get something like MyPhoneExplorer (in the market) to transfer stuff to your phone.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, thanks for the prompt replies!

Here's an update.
The usb charging icon isn't there for starters.
I don't use any task killer of any sort so that shouldn't be interfering.
Yeah, the SD card is fine, as I yanked it and put it in my sister's phone and it PC connect works fine there.
No my phone isn't rooted, and I tried the battery yank, and also a factory reset but neither of those helped. Sorry for my lack of understanding of the jargon but "Flash the RUU"?

I wondered that to but as EarlyMon said first off the biggest problem is that PC Sync isn't even running. Is there a way I can essentially use a /run program as you can on PC?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones