1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

PC won't recognize the Droid IncredibleSupport

1. tina1029

tina1029 New Member

When I plug my Incredible into my PC with the USB cable, the phone charges. How do I use the Incredible as a drive so I can drag and drop music files? I downloaded HTC Sync program onto my pc but it always shows as "disconnected" even when the phone is plugged in with the USB cord. In the Incredible's Connect to PC settings, I have disk drive as the default connection type and I checked off Ask me... What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't the pc recognize the incredible as new hardware that is connected? Is there a customer service telephone number I can call for assistance?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

You need to make sure that "USB debugging" is checked in your settings under "Application development".

Sometimes after checking that setting, you need to re-boot the phone or at least disconnect and re-connect it to your PC.
    JK47 and queBurro like this.
  3. Excedio

Excedio Well-Known Member

Pull down the Notification area at the top of your phone's screen. Then Mount the phone.
  4. tina1029

tina1029 New Member

I checked off the USB Debugging and rebooted the phone. There's nothng in my notifications area that asks me to mount the phone. I don't get it. It can't be this difficult.
  5. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

I don't know what Excedio was referring to either. Does anything pop up when you first plug the phone into the PC?
  6. tina1029

tina1029 New Member

No. Nothing pops up. The only thing I notice is the battery icon that tells me the phone is charging. This also tells me the pc recognizes the phone through the usb cord. Or am I mistaken on that one?
  7. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean the PC recognizes the phone, it just means that the phone is drawing power from the USB bus.

Have you tried opening HTC sink on your computer and then plugging the phone in?

EDIT: Did you mean there is a "battery icon" that pops up on your computer when you plug the phone in, or did you mean the charging light on the phone?
  8. tina1029

tina1029 New Member

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't using the original usb cord that was supplied with the phone. Once I connected with that one, I was able to see the usb option in my notifications area and select if I want to sync, or use my phone as a disk drive etc. I didn't think this would matter but obviously it does. Hopefully this will help someone else out there. Thanks for your help!
  9. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

You're welcome, glad you figured it out!
  10. drkeng

drkeng Well-Known Member

what's so special about the supplied micro usb?

will any micro usb allow charging? I was thinking about keeping the phone charging at work, since I'm in front of a computer all day.
  11. jdevlin1

jdevlin1 New Member

Thanks for posting the answer, I had the same problem and this would have driven me crazy without this post.
  12. sparky952

sparky952 Member

I am using the supplied USB cable and cannot connect to pc nor do i get anny notification. setting is set for disk drive.

Am I missing something?
    I am a new to smartphones and the lack of directions is getting frustrating. Is there some kind of step by step manual for how to do all things android?
  13. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

So nothing happens on your computer when you plug the phone in? Do you get any kind of "found new hardware" notification?
  14. sparky952

sparky952 Member

I get two hard drive, both say install disc when u click on them and yes the sd card is installed and seen by the phone.
  15. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

OK, So once the SD card is installed and seen by the phone, can you transfer files back and forth to it? If so, what is the problem?

If you want to see the phone memory, you need to have "USB debugging" checked in your phone settings.

Also, "HTC Sync" should show up in the root directory of the SD card (but it might be on the root of the phone) you can install that on your PC to have more "automatic" syncing.
  16. sparky952

sparky952 Member

USB debugging where is that? The pc can't access the memeory and nope no htc sync found
  17. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

Settings/Applications/development/USB Debugging

Make sure it's checked.

You might have to unplug the phone and plug it back in again for it to take affect,
  18. sparky952

sparky952 Member

ok now it says i need drivers and windows cannot find drivers. where do i get driver?
    while Im at it how do i shut the phone down, pressing and holding the power button does nothing but turn screen on
  19. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

I assume you have the Incredible?

While the phone is on, press and hold the power button down for about 5 seconds and the power option menu will pop up.
  20. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

Go here and download "HTC Sync"

HTC Sync
  21. sparky952

sparky952 Member

nope that does not happen, tried 5 times!
    also connect connect to pc. done everything people have said and nothing pc will not recognize the phone.
    Defective phone?
  22. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

Maybe. But sometimes you need to hold the power button down longer then you think. Try that, and then if it doesn't work, pull the battery and wait a few and then put it back in and restart.

Meanwhile, download and install the HTC sync I linked to before you try plugging the phone back in to the computer.
  23. sparky952

sparky952 Member

Ok i found the mp3 folder after i dowloaded the htc sync. thanx
    however the phone still will not turn off. must remove battery to turn off...nogo if u want to get full charge....
  24. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

It does sound like a hardware issue, I'd take it to a VZ store and have them swap it out for you.
  25. lbodine

lbodine New Member

Instructions

Things You'll Need:
    Motorola Droid
    Personal computer
    USB cable
    Verify that the Droid's memory card is inserted and that the display is showing the home screen before connecting the Droid to a computer.
    Attach the Motorola mini USB cable between the Droid smartphone and the computer's USB port.
    Select "USB Connected" at the top of the phone's screen, in the USB connection dialog box, that appears when the USB cables are connected.
    Select "Mount", if prompted, to allow connection of the phone's memory card to the computer.
    Select the "Removable Disk" icon on your computer to view and access the phone's memory card.
    Drag and drop music, video and picture files to or from the Droid's "phone folder" on the computer.
    Select "Safely Remove Hardware" on your computer prior to removing the USB cable when finished with the file transfer.
    Touch "Turn off USB storage" and select "Turn Off."

Read more: How to Connect a Droid to a Computer | eHow.com How to Connect a Droid to a Computer | eHow.com