1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

pda net no longer free w/in the last 3 weeks?

Last Updated:

1. otter

otter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

D1, rooted w/ Lithium mod. Just a few weeks ago I was using pdanet without a problem. Today I tried and it says that secure sites require me to pay to use the service. Did something change? I have version 2.42. If there is still a free version please send me the link because I can't find it.

I am connected to my hotel's wireless but do not have a wireless card so I can't use it. I tried using the tether in Lithium mod, but that doesn't work. Suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

Lappy was probably logged in so you never had to go through https sites to log in. Gotta pay. You can go to ninjaproxy and sign in that way, but prob need to. Bite the bullet. It is the only app I have ever bought

3. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

It's always been that way. Free for any sites except secure ones.

On the other hand, I bought it when it was on special at $9.99. Last month I spent 10 days in a hotel that wanted $9.99 per day for internet access. PDANet paid for itself in savings in one day; the other 9 were gravy.

4. PridgNYC

PridgNYC Well-Known Member

EasyTether is only $9.99 for the version that allows https.

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I'm confused. How are you connected to your hotel's wifi but you don't have a wireless card?

6. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

You're very confused.

I opted NOT to use the hotel's wi-fi because it cost $9.95/day. Instead, I plugged my Droid into the laptop, and using PDANet, was able to get email and surf the web. The phone was acting as a wireless modem.

7. Monkeypox

Monkeypox Member

Root your phone and get one of the wireless apps from the market for free.

8. Marc Wonderland

Marc Wonderland Well-Known Member

PDA is free for 30 dg in.ays and then afterward you cannot log in to any secure site (i.e. sites that require you to lo in). I purchased the app and it has proved to be a great purchase for me

9. otter

Ah HA. That explains why I remember it "working" right before.

edit: I downloaded pdanet last year sometime so that doesn't actually explain my case because it was working last month. I know for sure I logged into secure sites. Ah well, who knows?

10. otter

check the second word of my post ;-).

11. otter

My phone was connected to the hotel's wifi. I had a usb cable tethered to my laptop from the phone because there is no wireless card in the laptop. I'm still in the stone ages in that regard ;-).

Then I connected the usb cable from the phone to my laptop. I tried using the wifi connection of the hotel that I picked up with my phone both w/ pda net and then with the tether option of Lithium and neither worked. I also tried w/ bb 0.4 a few weeks back and that didn't work either :-(