pdanet 1.12 - Virus??? or normal

Last Updated:

1. Funintegras

Funintegras Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    I had downloaded pdanet 1.12 for 3g tethering form my droid, when installing, it told me to enable usb debugging and when i did that, my kaspersky INS 2010 prompt me a warning of a suspicious driver installation. So i wasnt sure if it was supposed do that so i termninated the installation using kaspersky. I uncheck usb debugging but did not unplug the usb cable, 1 minute later, i get a call from a phone number 201-708-7991. I didnt answer but later search the number with 800notes.com and found that it is a scammer number from New Jersy or something.

Could the program install a virus/melware on my phone? Is this possible?
    anyone heard of this?

In other words, should i be worry?

Advertisement
  2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I have never heard of pdanet containing malware. Not sure if something else caused it or if ks just had a false detection.

3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

PdaNet does install a driver and considering it's not from a big company, I bet Kaspersky is just wary of it. That scam call sounds like a fluke; I've had PdaNet on my phone and computer since we got it for Android with no issues.

4. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member

I can't say whether it's a virus or not but Kaspersky tends to be a bit invasive. We use it at work and sometimes it's a PITA in ways similar to this. I uninstalled Kaspersky for this reason and went with Antivir for a trial.

You can go to any of the antivirus vendors and do online scans, if you wish. At very least I'd recommend downloading malwarebytes (free or paid) and doing a scan.