PDANET and DATA USAGE

Last Updated:

1. jijoslin

jijoslin New Member This Topic's Starter

I just hooked up to the internet through my Samsung captivate smartphone, does anyone know how much data this will use, I have the 2gigs per month plan through at&t, thanks John

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

To date I've not seen a lot of spec's on how much data is typically used by Android. A lot depends on what apps you use. For example, Google maps tends to use a lot of data transferring map info to the phone. Pandora radio and Youtube also tends to use a lot of data.

One way to get around a lot of the data usage issues is to set up the phone to WiFi networks when at known locations. My Droid X, for example, automatically connects to WiFi at my home and at my office.

3. sirwally

sirwally Member

It all depends on what you will be doing on your computer and how often you tether. If you are just browsing the web you will generally consume more bandwidth as more and more sites offer mobile pages that are lighter than the non-mobile version. More importantly there are many desktop applications that will cosume lots of bandwidth. The best advice I can offer is to monitor your usage via the AT&T MyWireless app (I assume you are on AT&T because of the phone you have) to get an idea of how much bandwidth the apps you use consume and adjust your usage accordingly. The app is available in the marketplace.

Hope that helps.

4. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to the Android Forums community! Glad you signed up! We hope you join right into the conversations! :D

Steven