PDAnet and Sprint TOS

Last Updated:

1. rightto360

rightto360 Member This Topic's Starter

I am running PDAnet on a stock Hero. Love the Hero by the way. I am just wondering if there is anyway that Sprint can track my usage and take action against me for using this program. Anyone had any problems?

Advertisement
    lv2bll likes this.
  2. lv2bll

lv2bll Well-Known Member

i dont think they can track but you have unlimited data so they aren't gonna do much, Ive heard people use 40 gigs without sprints heavy hand comin down.

rightto360 likes this.
  3. aerajan

aerajan Active Member

Not as far as I know. I've been using PdaNet regularly fot months and haven't had a problem. I highly suggest limiting your data usage to 5gb or less a month because technically Sprint's socalled unlimited data plan means up to 5gb. Just check every so often and you should be
    fine.

rightto360 likes this.
  4. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

There is a data cap but has not been implemented by Sprint as of yet. But I don't think it will happen unless the use gets out of hand. Besides, Sprint does not have the bandwidth issues that are killing some of the other carriers (AT&T).

So with the limited number of folks using the tethering I really don't think that will be anytime soon (clamp down on it).

Just my opinion...

:cool:

rightto360 likes this.
  5. aerajan

aerajan Active Member

Gotcha. The reason I mentioned that is because it's listed here in Sprint's website. I just make sure I'm careful because I can't afford high speed internet right now so tethering is my main connection. I used PdaNet for years on my previous Treo 700wx but at that time I paid for an unlimited PAM plan which Sprint doesn't offer anymore. When I got my Hero in November I was trying to do research on this issue but since the Hero just came out and people don't seem to tether as much as I do I wasn't able to find out what I needed to easily. Finally, as I was rummaging through various posts on different forums I came across someone who posted this. I then went to Sprint's website just to double check and this is what is listed. I hope this helps. THANK GOODNESS FOR PDANET.

The first link takes you to Sprint's website on data.

Support - Article

Here's some further info from junefabrics.com aka the developers of PdaNEt.

PdaNet for Android FAQ

rightto360 likes this.
  6. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

haha, good articles but limited info... Sooner or later it will come to pass and be an issue, but then, I'm sure US consumers will fight back with the carrier limiting an unlimited data plan, lol. Again, if you're going to do web browsing etc. tethered, I don't think there will ever be an issue. If you're gonna hit some movie sites, Bit Torret, stream data forever, well then at some point you might get a letter from them. Like anything, it's EXCESS which grabs attention.

An old Japanese saying: " It is the nail which sticks out that gets hammered"!

hahahaha...

Now are there any DATA transfer measuring apps out there?

If not...

I know a service code which you can check the data manually... First I would like to say I am not responsible in any way, shape or form, if you play with this code... I think it is benign, but who knows... Use at your own risk!

Goto >Phone >Dialpad and enter:
    ##786#
    wait then while it reads the phone info.

You will get a a slew of information, including the TX & RX data totals...
    :D

Happy Trails!
    :cool:

7. aerajan

aerajan Active Member

There's actually 2 very easy ways to check your data usuage. The first is to long onto your Sprint account and and then click on data usuage which is on the bottom of the page and seems to update frequently. Or you can check by using the device self service program right on your Hero pending it's working correctly which it seems to be now.

8. acm2117

acm2117 Member

I just use the netcounter app.

9. acm2117

acm2117 Member

Oh and the 5 gig cap applys only to mobile broadband modems aka an aircard NOT a phone