PDANET is a MUST have for laptop users!!!General

Last Updated:

1. iAndroiid

iAndroiid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

I found easy tether to just as good and 1/3 the price. Easy to setup and install, and is quick.

3. iAndroiid

show/explain

4. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

5. teegale

teegale Member

I've tested both and pdanet lite doesn't support https (secure) websites. EasyTether lite says that it doesn't work with https but it does! It's basically a fully functioning version and there's no reason to pay for it.

6. irod87

irod87 Banned

I used pdanet on my last trip and it was a great alternative to overpriced hotel internet.

7. iAndroiid

so both are great

8. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

or if you are rooted, you can use wireless tether. no need to carry an extra cable around.

9. hlaalu

hlaalu Well-Known Member

Is it just one time charge or do you have pay monthly for this?

10. Droid.eris

Droid.eris Well-Known Member

The pdanet available on 2.1 leak is free and who uses secure site besides to check email which you have your phone for or im sure that you can run through a proxy and go to the HTTPS sites... Thats what i do at school

11. teegale

teegale Member

Bills, Banking, Email, Shopping Online.... Just to name a few. PDANet Lite is free on all versions of the OS, not just 2.1 leak.

I don't understand why anyone is paying for anything. I just said that EasyTether Lite 0.9.9 is fully functional without paying (including https). The only thing EasyTether doesn't have is Blutooth DUN, but that isn't a problem for me because I use USB.

12. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

My solution is to stay at home. Easy way to be in wifi range on my trusted access point. ;)

13. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I agree that both are fine apps but if one is good and the other is good but $20 cheaper (they will eventually block https) then I'm going with cheaper.

14. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Member

But for those of us who are frequently on the road, Easy Tether is a godsend, especially because their drivers support x64 operating systems. I don't have to deal with crappy free (or paid) hotel WiFi. On top of that, those systems are unsecure, so additional money has to be spent for a pass to HotSpotVPN. ET paid for itself in one trip where one day of unsecure, slow hotel WiFi cost $14/day.

My only complaint about ET is that there are still no drivers for Mac OS. Granted, I use Boot Camp for other things, but I do most of my work for work on the Mac side (I can do it on Windows, but it's more difficult).

15. teegale

teegale Member

Not if you don't update your software?!? Easy solution.

16. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Or just spend the $10 and get the full paid version. I mean honestly 10 bucks is not alot of money for the added functionality and the peace of mind you get knowing you won't ever be without a decent inet connection. This last november when we went to vegas for the weekend they wanted $15/day for wifi access, luckily i had my 727 usb modem, but with easytether i can quit paying that $60/mo for internet access i only use a few times a month. As a business owner its well worth the asking price, plus its easy to setup and use.