• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PdaNet Latency

NinjaCookie

Lurker
Jan 19, 2010
I downloaded PdaNet because when my brother uses it for online gaming he gets about 200-400 latency and when i use it for the exact same game i get 900 and it keeps going up and up to about 6.7k latency. Does using a laptop make a diffrence vs. using a desktop? or should it?

200-400ms sounds about normal for a cell phone Internet connection, and it can jump higher. 6.7 seconds is really high, but I doubt that PdaNet is causing it. Are you getting a good signal? And if you're using Bluetooth, is the phone fairly close to the laptop? The latency might be caused by the amount of traffic hitting the cell tower, though I'm not sure just how bad that would affect it.

Upvote 0
Might make a difference depending on how old the desktop/laptop is. You could have usb 1.0 if you have really old machine and he could be using 2.0.

There could be a firewall conflicting with the PDA.net software but that is just a guess.

But on another note you know you can have your VZW account suspended if they find you using tethering. Using PDA.net for gaming is a not a great idea at all because the bandwidth you use for gaming is huge. You can keep going but I would not suggest it.

Upvote 0
desktop vs laptop wont make any noticeable difference. those latencies sound normal for having a wireless broadband connection. i was once subscribed to a mobile broadband carrier for internet (cricket, cdma). my latencies would be between 300 and 1000 at any given time. mobile broadband just wasn't made for fast latencies. i did once see that if you put your wireless modem (your phone) in a pot, it will increase your signal.

and i also agree with secretsound. using that for online gaming will eat up your data and raise flags for your carrier. they can either terminate your contract or charge you for all those MB's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones