• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PDANET on ths samsung epic 4g touch with Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.
i cannot download the pdanet application from the android market (its hidden) and when i find the link on the interwebs it tells me that the app is not available for my carrier (sprint). I used it for 2 years with my htc evo without issue.

Does any other samsung epic 4g touch users have this issue?

Does anyone know of a work around for this?

Is this a technical or political limitation? Meaning is sprint blocking this now or does the developer need to support the phone?

Thanks

steve

Reactions: slowride66
A long time ago I had the Samsung Moment and I was never able to get PDANet working and eventually installed EasyTether. It works the same way as PDANet but costs less if you want to access secure sites. It's $10. It's always worked flawlessly on all of my Android phones.

Neither of those two programs are showing up in the market for me, but if it makes a difference, I have an Evo Shift.

You can download EasyTether for Android and it's desktop counterpart here...

How to tether Android - EasyTether. Android tethering for Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, PS3, XBox, Wii, Windows

I've read that some carriers are looking at the user agent string (that all browsers broadcast) and have blocked traffic for browsers that are not Android browsers. If Sprint ever does that there's a way around it. The solution is in the FAQ on that web site.

Upvote 0
Don't post the bits and pieces of what needs to be done, This app is being blocked by Sprint for this 4G device.

Tell us EXACTLY what steps need to be done from beginning to end after you have tried it yourself.

Android market = hidden
Can download and install pdanet for windows but "pushing it" to the phone is vague and the "reinstall PDAnet to phone" selection under the PDAnet folder doesn't seem to do a damn thing.

I bought this back when I had an HTC Hero but now have the Epic 4G Touch and finding myself needing it NOW. I an writing this using easytether lite (no https sites) and trying to find a real solution.

If junfabrics.com would simply allow you to install it from their site instead of having to use the market, or provided the .apk file on their site to download "without https" then I could install it and be a happy customer again.

Upvote 0
Don't post the bits and pieces of what needs to be done, This app is being blocked by Sprint for this 4G device.

Tell us EXACTLY what steps need to be done from beginning to end after you have tried it yourself.

Android market = hidden
Can download and install pdanet for windows but "pushing it" to the phone is vague and the "reinstall PDAnet to phone" selection under the PDAnet folder doesn't seem to do a damn thing.

I bought this back when I had an HTC Hero but now have the Epic 4G Touch and finding myself needing it NOW. I an writing this using easytether lite (no https sites) and trying to find a real solution.

If junfabrics.com would simply allow you to install it from their site instead of having to use the market, or provided the .apk file on their site to download "without https" then I could install it and be a happy customer again.

Not sure what problems you are having but if you follow the link below and select your operating system pdanet will install on your pc and then prompt you through the instructions to push the app to your phone.

And yes, I have done this multiple times and it works.

Download PdaNet

Upvote 0
Sprint has it blocked on the Android Market site. Search the web using Google to find an alt download source. It still installs correctly and works correctly on Sprint phones.

The link I posted above downloads and installs it directly from the developer. You have to have it installed on your PC anyway so why not just do it all at the same time from a trusted source, the developer?

Upvote 0
Please see http://androidforums.com/sprint/455520-sprints-official-tethering-policy.html, as I suspect that this explains the issue:
unless we identify the Service or Device that you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose... If your Services include web or data access, you also can't use your Device as a modem for computers or other equipment, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, with "phone as modem" plans, Sprint Mobile Broadband card plans, wireless router plans, etc.).

If it's a TOS limitation then discussion of bypassing it is not allowed here on Android Forums, at the request of the site owner.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones