PDANET on ths samsung epic 4g touch with SprintSupport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Last Updated: 2011-12-27 11:50:08
  1. thurgoodj187

thurgoodj187 New Member

i cannot download the pdanet application from the android market (its hidden) and when i find the link on the interwebs it tells me that the app is not available for my carrier (sprint). I used it for 2 years with my htc evo without issue.

Does any other samsung epic 4g touch users have this issue?

Does anyone know of a work around for this?

Is this a technical or political limitation? Meaning is sprint blocking this now or does the developer need to support the phone?

Thanks

steve

Advertisement
    slowride66 likes this.
  2. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Most carriers are blocking apps like this from the market now. I do not know of a work-around, but I'd imagine with root, anything is possible.
    slowride66 likes this.
  3. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

No need to root for PDAnet. Just use the link here and follow the installation instructions.

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

Be sure to check unknown sources under your applications settings.

Interesting that the app shows up in the market on my EVO4G but not my Epic Touch.
    cuzzo321 likes this.
  4. Clipp

Clipp Well-Known Member

Sprint just started blocking tethering apps recently...
    slowride66 likes this.
  5. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Question: are they still available from the Amazon App Store?
    slowride66 likes this.
  6. thurgoodj187

thurgoodj187 New Member

On the computer side, you can download it from
    Download PdaNet
    then push it to the phone side

Thanks,
    June Fabrics PDA Software Support
  7. Gavisann

Gavisann Well-Known Member

You can also get it from market.android.com
    slowride66 likes this.
  8. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

A long time ago I had the Samsung Moment and I was never able to get PDANet working and eventually installed EasyTether. It works the same way as PDANet but costs less if you want to access secure sites. It's $10. It's always worked flawlessly on all of my Android phones.

Neither of those two programs are showing up in the market for me, but if it makes a difference, I have an Evo Shift.

You can download EasyTether for Android and it's desktop counterpart here...

How to tether Android - EasyTether. Android tethering for Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, PS3, XBox, Wii, Windows

I've read that some carriers are looking at the user agent string (that all browsers broadcast) and have blocked traffic for browsers that are not Android browsers. If Sprint ever does that there's a way around it. The solution is in the FAQ on that web site.
    slowride66 likes this.
  9. tomudell

tomudell New Member

I could not find it on the market either when I changed phones. Emailed pdanet. And can do what somebody else posted and download from their website and push it to phone, lucky for me it is now on the market when I checked again so I downloaded it.
    slowride66 likes this.
  10. eluno

eluno Well-Known Member

if anyone needs the files to do wired tethered on thier gs2 just shoot me a PM and i'll hook you up, with the needed files.
  11. jamesdean

Or you can just download PDAnet directly from the developer here.

Download PdaNet
    slowride66 likes this.
  12. adaaaam

adaaaam Well-Known Member

Not if you're sending it to an Epic 4G Touch
    slowride66 likes this.
  13. junkyrdhal

junkyrdhal New Member

Last night I bought the registration code to unlock the full pda.net, downloaded pda.net to my laptop then pushed it to my phone, all seems well except I do not have the registration feature to enter my code. Anyone have any idea what I need to do, i did email june abrics but have gotten no reply back.
    slowride66 likes this.
  14. jamesdean

It's been a couple of years for me but I think you enter the code in the app on the phone side.
    slowride66 likes this.
  15. junkyrdhal

junkyrdhal New Member

thanks jamesdeen but the so called help section on the june fabrics site says the icon should be on the bottom tray computer side i had this on my htc hero for a year with no problems but getting a little peed off this time around
  16. ne1scott

ne1scott New Member

Don't post the bits and pieces of what needs to be done, This app is being blocked by Sprint for this 4G device.

Tell us EXACTLY what steps need to be done from beginning to end after you have tried it yourself.

Android market = hidden
    Can download and install pdanet for windows but "pushing it" to the phone is vague and the "reinstall PDAnet to phone" selection under the PDAnet folder doesn't seem to do a damn thing.

I bought this back when I had an HTC Hero but now have the Epic 4G Touch and finding myself needing it NOW. I an writing this using easytether lite (no https sites) and trying to find a real solution.

If junfabrics.com would simply allow you to install it from their site instead of having to use the market, or provided the .apk file on their site to download "without https" then I could install it and be a happy customer again.
    slowride66 likes this.
  17. jamesdean

Not sure what problems you are having but if you follow the link below and select your operating system pdanet will install on your pc and then prompt you through the instructions to push the app to your phone.

And yes, I have done this multiple times and it works.

Download PdaNet
    slowride66 likes this.
  18. mj.wolf

mj.wolf Member

Sprint has it blocked on the Android Market site. Search the web using Google to find an alt download source. It still installs correctly and works correctly on Sprint phones.
    slowride66 likes this.
  19. jamesdean

The link I posted above downloads and installs it directly from the developer. You have to have it installed on your PC anyway so why not just do it all at the same time from a trusted source, the developer?
    slowride66 likes this.
  20. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Please see http://androidforums.com/sprint/455520-sprints-official-tethering-policy.html, as I suspect that this explains the issue:
    If it's a TOS limitation then discussion of bypassing it is not allowed here on Android Forums, at the request of the site owner.
    slowride66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.