pdanet

Last Updated:

1. bigdroiddog

bigdroiddog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just recently started using pdanet when my high speed internet connection at home was having issues. Oddly i found it to be very fast and work pretty flawlessly from my droid. My question is during the summer i have a 2nd home which has no option for high speed connections, but does get 3g Verizon. I mostly would use my laptop for reading emails and teaching online classes through my college. Has anyone on Verizon ever had issues using bandwidth through a tethered device as i described? I know there is this on going battle of whether our unlimited plans are truly unlimited or not. I would not use massive loads of data but i do not want to incur problems with my service either. Love to hear your opinions.

Advertisement
  2. gearmo97

gearmo97 Member

I've seen in other posts that there is a 5 gig limit on teathering before you incur additional charges. I don't know how you would be able to keep track or how you would know if you hit the 5 gig limit so I only teather as a last resort.

3. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

And, I don't know how Verizon would know that you were tethering in the first place using pdanet... :D

4. allen2288

allen2288 Member

Ive been so waiting for a chance to proove those naysayers wrong. Lol. So far, since I have had the droid, i have used 10gig each month on pdanet. Not a peep from vzw. It is unlimited because of the nature of the phone... pandora and youtube alone take a lot of bandwidth. So, fear not my tethering friends.

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Thank you for straining the network. People like you shouldn't be allowed to have data. If you actually would read the ToS you would know that your not allowed to tether but you do it anyway and suck down 10 gigs of data just to prove they won't punish you.

To the OP, if you have no other option and your just pulling emails and doing some browsing then I see no problem.

6. kettigm

kettigm Member

CRPercodani, I lurk alot and don't post much. but every time you post i read it in my mind using Optimus Prime's voice subconsciously. It cracked me up reading this thinking that this guy just got ripped by that voice.

7. CRPercodani

I wish. My son has a Optimus Prime helmet with the voice translator but it isn't quite right, I admit I have used it a few times lol.

8. allen2288

allen2288 Member

Read the ToS many times over... there is nothing that states that tethering isnt allowed on the droid... thirdparty or not. There is no mention of a data cap on the droid. Read it again and you might learn a thing or two.

How is tethering adding any more strain on the network than normal? On my phone, I am almost always streaming pandora... so is that any worse than tethering? Its not my fault that vzw allows me to do what I do with my open phone. If they didnt want it, they would start blocking more ports.

9. schad89

schad89 Active Member

Get over it

10. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

Feel free to use 10gb a month. I won't say anything or give you grief about it. I also surely wouldn't do it, nor would I advise someone to do it. I do use pdanet though - just not excessively.
    Can you get away with it? Probably for a while, but then again maybe not.

Verizon will NOT know you are tethering. But if they audit your account it will be readily apparent when you were tethering (traffic logs - your traffic will look much different when tethered as opposed to using the phone).

So, if you want to take a chance and use lots of data and hope your account doesn't get audited, then that is your prerogative. But please let others know that too, and don't just tell them to "have at it" - people will do what they read here, so let's give them responsible advise. :D

11. CRPercodani

Then your blind, I didn't say there is a cap either. Here let me make you look stupid. And your phone being open source has nothing to do with this, sounds like your the one that needs to "learn a thing or two".

Obviously data is data, but you can blaze through 10, 30, even 50 gb with no problem when your tethering to a computer. Do it if you want, but if you ever run a business of your own I will laugh when people take advantage of your services as you are Verizons.

AT&T has a 5GB cap because of so many users going through large amounts of data, if we keep abusing Verizon's network then they will start to enforce a similar policy.

12. schtip8bit

schtip8bit Well-Known Member

Just heard about thus app. Looks like I need to install some software onto the. Computer to get it to work. Read that a recent update made this app useless?