• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PDF on Android (work around)

So, you want to view pdf's or comics (cbr & cbz files) on your G1 but are a bit miffed due to lack of support for Android? Well be miffed no more (or at least not as miffed.)

On your computer open the target pdf, goto File/Export/Image and select JPEG. It will ask you where you want to save it so save it somewhere and at a good quality. For this trial I save at Medium and the text still shows up nice and crisp on the G1's screen. Also, name the folder you saved them to the name of the book or whatever.

Take your Folder full of exported JPEGs and transfer them to your G1's SD card and that's the hard part on the technical side of things.

Now disconnect your G1 from your computer (or replace your SD Card if you took it out to connect it to your computer) and open you Picture Viewer app. and you'll find a gallery named after your folder and open. It may be in reverse page order but you can change that in settings on your G1 by hitting Menu.

It works the same way for comics too. If your comic viewer on your computer doesn't have a decent export function you can just rename the file extension and unzip or unrar (cbz = zip, cbr = rar) and again, rename folder drag and drop, walla~

Hope that helps with some people's problems.

Attachments

• Photo 18.jpg
    Photo 18.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 132
While this works for stuff you already have, it dosn't work if its something you're viewing over the internet or get in an email. It also defeats the reason for having PDS's which is a compressed file size.

You're Absolutely correct. But unless I learn java and get some inside info from Adobe, I couldn't figure out a way to at least view the things I wanted on my G1.

Upvote 0
so I was just surfing and I came across
http://www.google.com/mobile/androi...p-g4mc-gmlm&utm_medium=cpp&utm_campaign=en_us

and to my surprise it says you can view PDF files and word docs that are attached to email. Well I did what any curious person would do. I emailed a PDF to myself and would you believe it...it opened and I could read it! What gives? It seems the OS has native PDF reading ability but doesn't have a direct way to access it. Or is it rendered remotely and displayed on the phone in some other format. Anyway give it a shot

Upvote 0
so I was just surfing and I came across
http://www.google.com/mobile/androi...p-g4mc-gmlm&utm_medium=cpp&utm_campaign=en_us

and to my surprise it says you can view PDF files and word docs that are attached to email. Well I did what any curious person would do. I emailed a PDF to myself and would you believe it...it opened and I could read it! What gives? It seems the OS has native PDF reading ability but doesn't have a direct way to access it. Or is it rendered remotely and displayed on the phone in some other format. Anyway give it a shot

WOW... thank you .. but i could only see it view WORD in the doc by switch it to HTML reader, but no pic, most of my teacher PDF file is PICTURE scan.... >.< ... help . and no edit

Upvote 0
IMAP doesn't work, the gmail mail account must be doing a server conversion to display through the phone.

Found a solution though. Slightly clunky, but not awful:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

Essentially, forward the email with the PDF attachment to pdf2html@adobe.com
and they will respond with the PDF converted to HTML.

I guess if you received them a lot, create an Exchang rule so that if you receive an attachment with pdf in the name, forward it to that email address. Semi-automatic conversion. The Iphone didn't have some basic features on launch either, so I imagine we'll see this stuff really quickly.

Upvote 0
I was unsatisfied with Adobe's converters. The Adobe's txt converter was useless and the html converter returned a zip file which was nearly as useless as the pdf I couldn't view in the first place... so I created my own pdf to png converter e-mail process.

Just e-mail a PDF to pdftopng@omnipath.net

It'll convert each page to a png and e-mail them back to you.

Give it a try, feedback welcomed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones