1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

PDF Reader that can read locked files?

Last Updated:

1. togakangaroo

togakangaroo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know a good (preferably free) pdf reader app that can read locked pdf files?

I don't mean that I want it to crack the encryption. I bought the ebook legitimately and have the password. I just can't find a pdf reader that allows me to get even that far.

Advertisement
  2. Thumper

Thumper Active Member

I have the same question. Taking online courses and would make my life a lot easier if I could listen to my weekly reading in the car. I spend about 3-4 hours a day in my car driving and it's all wasted time I could use to be getting reading done. I have tried several PDF readers including Mantano, I have tried to use the Fill and Sign PDF Forms app which just errors out and says it is an unsupported format.

I think ezPDF Reader should work, but I thought everything else I tried would work and I'm not ready to slap down $3 on an app that may or may not do what I want.

The logo on my textbooks say they are "Powered by ProtectedPDF" with what looks like the logo of a little Trojan helmet.

3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I have several readers and I just successfully tried it with a protected PDF with
    Adobe Reader
    ezPDF
    Mantano
    PDF ToGo (from DocsToGo)
    RepliGo

Harry

4. Thumper

Thumper Active Member

Well, I wonder if the type of protection matters, because I have tried a couple of the ones you listed and had no luck.

I did however find a way around it, I can just select all and copy/paste into a Libre Office document than export it to a PDF again. Hopefully, if nothing else works, the OP can do this too.

Now I just need to find a decent text-to-speech app that reads the text like a person and not like a robot in a race....LOL

5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Oh, in your case the PDF file would be opened already :)
    I meant to open a closed, protected PDF file for to read it, not to reach the protected content of the PDF ;)
    And I think, the OP meant this too.

EDIT: For TTS, ezPDF Reader has this feature but I didn't tried it yet.

Harry